East Coast Mountain Lion

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #51  
Our DNR has a history of reintruducing species and denying it all the while.

Given the result of this thread, I gotta ask, where did the WV Game Department plant animals? Colorado?

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #52  
The best source for info about the possibility of cougars in the East is from your local Coon hunters.

Camera's have been around for over a hundred years, can anyone show me a picture of a Black cougar?
There are plenty photo's out there of black Jaguars and Leopards.

I have known three individuals in my life that kept cougars for years, one would actually take his female hunting off the leash. None of these fellows ever heard a cougar scream, whistle-- yes, growl-- yes, purr--yes.

Concerning cougar tales the Tail makes or breaks the tale for me. :)

Have fun-- J
Just because you've never seen a black one, doesn't mean they don't exist. I have seen a black one, and only one. It was a few hundred yards behind our house. I was squirrel hunting. It was just about dawn.

Same with the "scream." If you ever do, you won't think it's funny. ;) If you've never heard one, don't laugh at those of us who have.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #53  
At least 8 years ago I saw a black one about 40 yards away for a good 3 minutes less than 90 feet from house at approx 9_am.

Boone

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #54  
Boone, I have heard that the Florida panther is a good bit smaller then the western one is, is that true?

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #55  
Boone, I have heard that the Florida panther is a good bit smaller then the western one is, is that true?

From what I have seen and read I would say definately yes. Also probably has to do with trememdous anual heat and humity just like with the deer. I believe they will tell you theres about 100 Fl panthers in state some even collared. I myself believe theres a lot more. In my life in Fl I have probably seen a dozen. Last year near a rural town called Immokolee I saw a very large one like you'd see out west but that is rare. Reason I believe theres been a big incline in Fl panther pop is a humongous decline in wild hog sightings around her. Last year I asked ranchers and farmers around here if people where trapping hogs to eat because of economic conditions because I didn't see-em like I always did and down to a man everyone told me the panthers been tearing -em up.

Boone
eNature: FieldGuides: Species Detail

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #56  
thanks, interesting reading. we do not have any hogs around just a few bears

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #57  
Crazy that the Connecticut story made it sound like an isolated incident from a cougar that traveled across the country. When I was growing up in Connecticut in the 70s and 80s, we routinely saw evidence of mountain lions, and even got some photos.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #58  
... Last year I asked ranchers and farmers around here if people where trapping hogs to eat because of economic conditions because I didn't see-em like I always did and down to a man everyone told me the panthers been tearing -em up.

Boone
eNature: FieldGuides: Species Detail

From your link: "Diet: Florida panthers primarily eat white-tailed deer and feral hogs, though they will eat other animals such as raccoons, armadillos, rabbits, rats, birds, and alligators."

Send some of those hungry kitties to Missouri, we need them to cull our feral pigs.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion
Wow that cat really gets around.
Lion Eyes

Somebody is full of it.:thumbdown:
You are correct... I had this pointed out to me this morning by another co worker who was also lied to. I am not a happy camper. This guy lost all credibility with me. I'm truly sorry if this ruffled anyones feathers. I had conplete trust in this guy. **** he is even our union VP here at work.

There are more than a few people who are not happy about this whole thing here at work.