East Coast Mountain Lion

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #61  
How did we live without the Internet....

Since this thread started I was thinking about the stories I read in the Fox Fire books about cougars, panthers and painters. Yes, painters. :) My Fox Fire books are in storage so I could not get to them and even if I could, I would then have to find the book that had the stories....

So I googled. :D Danged Internet actually has the stories. Now, one does have to be careful in the search because the word "cougar" has different meanings and will give you unexpected search results. The word "panther" works much better. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

I actually found the story I was thinking about.

Foxfire 9 - Foxfire Fund, Inc. - Google Books

The second story in the link is at Deep Gap and Kimsey Creek in NC. I have been at the gap and walked up and down that creek a couple of times. I had read the story before getting to the place the first time and of course I was always thinking of a cougar being around while I was walking along the trail. :D The story was also interesting because the man had a Plott hound with him. The Plott hound is the NC state dog. When I read the Fox Fire books decades ago I did not know about the Plott hound connection to NC. The breed was created a bit north of Deep Gap. I did not realize this until I reread the story.

If you read the stories there is a pattern of people being attacked from behind by the cougar as well as the unique sound of the cougar cry. I had thought that some of the stories mention a black panther but I could not find that in the link. On the other hand, the stories in the link are not complete and I think there were other Fox Fire books with cougar stories.

Later,
Dan

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #62  
The claimed the same thing in South Dakota until the lions where everywhere. Now they allow the harvesting of 100 per year and they are still pretty thick.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #63  
The claimed the same thing in South Dakota until the lions where everywhere. Now they allow the harvesting of 100 per year and they are still pretty thick.

Is that with dogs allowed or just spotting one by chance ?

Boone

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #64  
You are correct... I had this pointed out to me this morning by another co worker who was also lied to. I am not a happy camper. This guy lost all credibility with me. I'm truly sorry if this ruffled anyones feathers. I had conplete trust in this guy. **** he is even our union VP here at work.

There are more than a few people who are not happy about this whole thing here at work.

Hoffa

Break out the FEL and the BH, this is Tractorbynet.

Either that or feed him to these cougars whereever they may be.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #65  
we had one hit and killed by a car in Ct last year....they said he came from South Dakota. For some absurd reason...the DEP says they do not exist in the Northeast.....

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #66  
My wife watched a cougar cross the dam in our back yard and later heard its terrifying scream. She has been within 100 ft of a cougar while backpacking and knows what they look like. We have sightings of the black color variant in our area and the locals call them panthers rather than mountain lions or cougars. This is just ignorance as they are the same animal. Once in a while one will be black. I have never heard of a sighting around here of any color variants but all black or the more common tan.

Our officials denied that we have cougars living in the wild other than a rare released or escaped pet. Too many pictures from too many citizens for that BS. Just yesterday my neighbor to the south of me whose property is bounded by the South Canadian river reported sighting two down by the river and also significant deer herd size. His adult daughter doesn't walk or ride far from the house without her gun. Better safe than lunch.

Pat

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #67  
Remember the three s's...shoot, shovel, and shut up.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #69  
Saw a good sized one up in the peninsula in washington state. It jump down to the road, then effortlessly jumped clean across into the brush on the other side, some thirty feet, and disappeared into the brush. I remember hiking into the cascades and seeing a fair number of cougars and fewer number of bobcat. Pretty neat.