East Coast Mountain Lion

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #74  
BTW as some are aware at least in Fla because of mans infrigment(construction,etc) on native panther habitat on occasion panthers become teratorial and fight and kill themselves. This has been proven by tracking collared animals and recovering bodies because of no movement with-in a certain amount of time.

Boone

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #75  
All cats are territorial including Cougars. A single cat's range is generally over 100 square miles. House cats have a smaller range but normally just as territorial.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #77  
I live in Western Illinois, a pretty rural, mostly farming area. There have also been rumors about big cats in my area. Some trappers were trying to trap muskrats out of a pond nearby my house. They stopped by and wanted to know if we had a big dog, and they showed some pictures of large footprints and swore they were cougar. A few years ago someone shot one over along the Mississippi river in Illinois. I've never seen one, but if they are in Missouria, we are only about 100 miles away, it seems like they could be here also.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #78  
I live on the Eastern Shore of Maryland and I have seen 2 absolutely confirmed cougars/panthers/puma/mountain lions, whatever since I moved here from NC in 1973. One was about 1979 near Delmar when my wife and I both saw him within 30' of the car. The second was a broad daylight sighting on the side of RT 13 near Westover north of Pocomoke City. That one was about 11 AM and my mom was with me, it was walking toward the south as we drove north on our side of the road. I thought at first it was a large hound, then it turned side to and was unmistakeable, especially when it leaped about 20' to the edge of the woods then turned and watched as we drove by. My cousin and I saw one near Ashville in the early 70's on rocks above Interstate 40 in the wee hours of the morning. There was a known population the Dismal Swamp where I was raised in northeastern NC.

I need to add that in every one of those locations, they officially don't exist.:rolleyes:

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #79  
Eastern cougars never ceased to exist, they got very scarce but there have been known populations that locals are aware of in Florida, the Dismal Swamp and mountains of NC, Georgia, Alabama, Virginia, Maryland, WV, Louisiana, and likely in SC. The one my wife and I saw in Delmar, MD in the 70's appeared coal black but it was night and he was under a street light with headlights on him, so the shadows and such could have fooled us. But the reports of black "panthers" are persistent enough to make think there is something to it.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #80  
When I was looking for land 3 years ago in western Virginia, (Lexington) my realtor was a retired Va. Game Comm Officer.....an absolute walking encyclopedia of woods and nature. While we were walking the land that I eventually bought we crossed a small grassy, bare opening with a few mud puddles. By one of the puddles was a huge track 4-5", I asked if it was a large dog. Kenny, replied, "No claws...a dog has claw marks, that's a mountain lion". Then the road builders reported three sightings of black bear.....
I usually carry a Glock .40 :eek: