East Coast Mountain Lion

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #81  
In 1976 I was bow hunting in SE South Dakota for deer. While sitting in my tree stand, a mountain lion came walking out of the corn. It heard something in my tree (me) and decided to get a closer look...maybe a squirrel? It came right to the base of my tree and I truthfully had no idea what I was going to do besides soil my pants as a defensive measure. It got a wiff of my flashlight laid at the base and took off 60 mph in the other direction. At the time, even though I was watching it for 5+ minutes approaching, it was difficult to comprehend what I was seeing since they were not known to be in that area at that time.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #82  
The mountain lions existence reminds me of the "extinct" Red Wolves of eastern NC. In the and near the Dismal Swamp, south through the counties nearby such as Dare, Currituck, Perquimans, Pasquatank, etc..., everyone that was a regular hunter knew they were there. They were often seen by coon hunters at night, you could hear them howling/barking (somewhat different than grays) in the swamp some nights from our house just outside of South Mills. IOf course they are readily acknowledged now.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #83  
One of my sons just informed me that last nite he had a black panther cross road in front of his car about 1/2 mile down road from our house. That makes 2 black panther sightings for us in 12 years.

Boone

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #84  
here in wisconsin they denied the same,until all the pictures started showing up then they were protected species.go figure
I live way back in the sticks in the mountains of extreme western Md. Pretty much on the Wv. border. For yrs the Mayland DNR and WV DNR claimed that there was no such thing as mountain lions in our region or the east coast for that matter. I have personally seen two in my life on my property.

Now, with everyone having trail cams in the woods these days, I knew it was just a matter of time till we got a legitimate picture of one.
Low and behold my co worker of all people got this fabulous picture on his farm last week. This picture and prints were confirmed by the Pa. Game Commission. this was taken just across the Pa. line outside of Uniontown Pa.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #85  
For Years I have had family members tell me about Moutain lions and once a Black Panther with babies sightings, this is on the sullivan county NY and Wayne county PA border.

This Summer I had my children's bus driver tell me a Mountain Lion crossed in front of her bus about 7:30 Am and it ran off down one of my creek beds.

The Next day a buddy of mine was in one of my back fields, and said he saw a Mountain lion run off down toward that same creek, these two people do not know each other and they both saw them about the same time a day apart prob about a half mile away from each other.

So I do think they are here, I will get some game cams one of these days and spread them out though my property, I know Ill have plenty of Coyote pic's along with deer, fox,fishers,Black Bears and Bob Cats, I hope if there is a Mountain lion I am able to get a pic.

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #86  
So when are we going to see Bigfoot?:eek:

/ East Coast Mountain Lion #87  
This summer in No. WI as I was taking the trash to the road in early AM, I saw something bound across the road about 100 yards in front of me, it happened so fast and not enough light, but I'm convinced it was a mountain lion/cougar and will believe that until someone can prove differently :)