Burn wood pellets in regular wood stove?

/ Burn wood pellets in regular wood stove? #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
A search didn't offer much but I wonder if I can add some scoops of wood pellets to my regular wood stove fire that already has a good bank of coals established. I figure to maybe bank some pellets up on both sides of the stove...not smother the fire with too many. What do you think? Sorry if this has already been beat to death but it didn't search well.

/ Burn wood pellets in regular wood stove? #3  
they sell a kit in northern tool now for this.

/ Burn wood pellets in regular wood stove?
   / Burn wood pellets in regular wood stove? #5  
I think pellets would burn really fast because of all the exposed surface area. Pellets work in a pellet stove because they auger just a few into the fire cup at a time, where they burn like a bandit.

Pressed sawdust logs or bricks would give you a more stable fire. Don't burn the ones full of wax in a closed stove, the wax will boil off and condense in the chimney, causing a chimney fire. They are for open fireplaces only. I think pellets would work well as kindling.

/ Burn wood pellets in regular wood stove? #6  
Pellets will burn in a regular stove if you can get air to them. A pellet stove has a combustian fan that does nothing but blow air through the pellets which greatly increases the burn. The heat is regulated by the pellet augar which delivers a set amount of pellets. Turn the augur on longer for more pellets and a hotter fire, less pellets for cooler temps. This is why a pellet stove needs power to burn. We burn about one fourty pound bag in 24 hours in this fall weather. A cold winter we will burn two bags a day and sometimes more when the temp drops below zero.