What is your wood hauler?

/ What is your wood hauler? #1  

BIG DOOLEY

Platinum Member
Tractor
JOHN DEERE 2320
2010 spring 048.jpg2011 CHEVY TRUCK PAINT 137.jpg2011 summer 003.jpg3613 house 035.jpgFAMILY 2009 287.jpgSince 1998 this has been my wood hauler.
1998 Chevy K3500 crew cab 4x4.
Took a weeks vacation and gave it a fresh coat of paint ,grill, headlights, tail lights, made custom mud flaps...
only 36,000 miles.
Sthil MS361 and a MS200T.
Wood maul for the first 10 years and now i have a wood splitter.
Double wall Dutch West large wood stove heats 1600 sq ft house and keeps the garage in the 60's.
I have 3 helpers to help stack wood.
Nothing better than a vacation day in the woods running the saw and some seat time on my dads Super C.
Tom

/ What is your wood hauler? #2  
Good looking truck, that's a heavy load.

/ What is your wood hauler? #3  
My work truck with a Utility box. I have since upgraded to a bigger heavier trailer with 2' sides. The 2012 Hemi 2500HD has a problem pulling a full bed full and a good trailer load. this was my old setup. 05 chevy 2500HD 6.0L 4x4.

41D842FE-2B83-457D-AF87-24FAC346BBB9-1388-000002E675D009C8.jpg

B23F7380-82E5-4CEE-BF3D-7B13EC01B554-1388-000002E67492E27E.jpg

/ What is your wood hauler? #4  
Tom - You need some sides for that truck, man! They don't have to be fancy. These are "temporary" but I've gotten 3 yrs out of them so far...and counting. Your dually is more than capable of handling a full load of oak. I am seriously overloading mine if I fill it up too much, so I don't fill up to the rafters (and even then it is more than I should, but it handles it well). This is modular and knocks down or sets up pretty easily. I can do it alone but it is much easier with a helper (even my 12yr old daughter is enough help for this as you just need a hand to hold things in place).

Sherman_woodrack (1) (Medium).JPG

Sherman_woodrack (2) (Medium).JPG

Sherman_woodrack (3) (Medium).JPG

Sherman_woodrack (Medium).JPG

/ What is your wood hauler?
That is a nice looking setup.
that wouldn't be hard to fab up.
my future intentions are to buy a dump trailer and have a few side board extensions with a tarp cover to pull over the load.
thanks for the pictures. i have to be patient when loading so everything is secure when loading.
the ride out of the woods is a little rough rolling and pitching so it is my test to see if my load is secure for blacktop.
i have a 7 mile ride from the property back to the house with a few stop signs and only 2 turns.
the sides would make it safer till i get $ for a trailer.
thanks again
tom

/ What is your wood hauler? #7  
I use a trailer made from the frame and body of a full size Dodge Power Wagon pickup truck. It is titled and has a license plate. It has a 2 1/2 inch ball. I use it with my truck and my tractor. I usually give away 4 loads yearly to my neighbors. Two of my neighbors have fireplaces and two have outside burners.

/ What is your wood hauler? #8  
IMG_0415.jpg

Just as a last minute thing, I made some sides using trimmed 2x4s in the stake pockets and ran 2x6s along the sides. I put them two high but in your case as high as you stack, I would maybe go up another foot or two. You could leave a 6" space in between because nothing will fall out anyway. At least you shouldn't drop on on a fender that way.

/ What is your wood hauler?
Nice looking setup.
That would cost me less money and be ok stored in the weather.
A small cable, rope or chain could even be connected to the top of the racks between rows of wood as you load front to back.
I could hang the racks on the wood pile posts between weekend trips to the woods.
I'll need to cut out my stake pocket holes on the aluminum box rail covers, but it would be worth it.
Having a trailer like that must be nice to bring home a larger load in one trip.
one pickup load, spliting and stacking the same day is what i have been doing.
thanks
tom

/ What is your wood hauler? #10  
I use a car hauler trailer with 2x12 side rails. I can bring home about 2 cords at a time, so three good loads and I'm done for the year! :thumbsup: