Got walnuts?

/ Got walnuts? #91  
I have thousands of walnuts lying back where deer roam and have never seen any sign of deer eating them, EVERE. Just did a Google search and it says deer will not consume them either with the husk on or off. I took a bite of black walnut husk one time....UGGGGHHHH !!! Can't believe squirrels will chew the husk off but maybe they taste good to them.

I always know when those squirrels start chewing on the husks, it rains tiny husk parts in what seems like forever. And that d*** noise they make chewing! It's enough for me to get my gun and fill the stew pot.

But at least the husk parts are not ankle rollers. :)

/ Got walnuts? #93  
Hammons Black Walnuts

$13 per hundred pounds: better get to picking them up and selling them to the huller. JD you have a fortune in your back yard.. not to mention the thousands of dollars your trees are worth if you wanted to cut them down..I know you would not want to do that, but they are worth a fortune.

James K0UA

/ Got walnuts? #94  
I think I've read that the Hammons company also processes the shells for use in abrasives and the like. The nut meat is expensive, much more so than the meat of English walnuts, but I bet they have to get something from the whole nut to make money on processing them. I don't think I've ever bought black walnut meat, and I like it. Lots of folks don't like the stronger flavor. I wonder if they have an overseas market. Of course, with all the food and cooking shows on TV these days, their niche market may be expanding. They need Alton Brown to do a show about using black walnuts.

Chuck

/ Got walnuts? #95  
I think I've read that the Hammons company also processes the shells for use in abrasives and the like. The nut meat is expensive, much more so than the meat of English walnuts, but I bet they have to get something from the whole nut to make money on processing them. I don't think I've ever bought black walnut meat, and I like it. Lots of folks don't like the stronger flavor. I wonder if they have an overseas market. Of course, with all the food and cooking shows on TV these days, their niche market may be expanding. They need Alton Brown to do a show about using black walnuts.

Chuck

/ Got walnuts? #96  
I have used a lot of the ground up walnut shell as a cleaning media for Cartridge cases in my vibratory tumbler. I have used a lot of ground up corncob media as well. They both work.

James K0UA

/ Got walnuts? #97  
I have used a lot of the ground up walnut shell as a cleaning media for Cartridge cases in my vibratory tumbler. I have used a lot of ground up corncob media as well. They both work.

James K0UA

I have heard that corncob media is wonderful for cleaning large DC machines. There are lots of nooks and crannies in a DC motor, and the carbon is a conductor, and wears, so the machines are self contaminating. Organic blast media is a wonderful idea...

/ Got walnuts? #98  
I have heard that corncob media is wonderful for cleaning large DC machines. There are lots of nooks and crannies in a DC motor, and the carbon is a conductor, and wears, so the machines are self contaminating. Organic blast media is a wonderful idea...

yeah that makes sense, carbon feels like grinding compound... so I could see that... You would want to be sure to get all the corncob media out though.. On the inside of the flash hole of almost every case a piece of the corncob media finds it way into and sticks in the flash hole. Of course it gets punched out with the primer by the decapping pin and is not a problem.

James K0UA

/ Got walnuts? #99  
My trees production went into overdrive also this year. It seems like every third year this happens. One of my trees is branched out over the concrete driveway. They get sweeped and shoveled into the Gator and then dumped into the ditch near the corn field. The rest of that tree and all the others just get ignored. It does make it trickey to walk out there but by July they will all be gone, turned to compost I guess.

Well if they''re anything like macadamias, they will encourage a rat plague if left around for too long (unless your squirrels squirrel them away).

Although it would require a lot of care (safety wise), I am told that in the old days before mechanical dehuskers, people here used to dehusk nuts by jacking up the rear wheel of a car, put it in drive with the engine idling and pass the nuts between the spinning wheel and the ground. I am not recommending this.

Regards

/ Got walnuts? #100  
Well if they''re anything like macadamias, they will encourage a rat plague if left around for too long (unless your squirrels squirrel them away).

Although it would require a lot of care (safety wise), I am told that in the old days before mechanical dehuskers, people here used to dehusk nuts by jacking up the rear wheel of a car, put it in drive with the engine idling and pass the nuts between the spinning wheel and the ground. I am not recommending this.

Regards

And then he tried to pass a really big one between the tire and the ground, and it got stuck, the care lurched off of the jack and it ran over his a** :shocked: and that was the last time he ever did that!:D

James K0UA