Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast
    Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default Re: Got walnuts?

Quote Originally Posted by k0ua View Post
    And then he tried to pass a really big one between the tire and the ground, and it got stuck, the care lurched off of the jack and it ran over his a** and that was the last time he ever did that!

James K0UA
    Yeah, what a dimwit...anybody with common sense would have used a tractor with it's much larger rear wheels...
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Tractor
    Kubota BX24

Quote Originally Posted by joshuabardwell View Post
    Step 1: Have squirrels.

Step 2: Wait until spring and watch all the walnut seedlings pop up in your hedges and other decorative beds.

At least that's how we do it around here.
    That was so funny I spit my coffee this morning- I too have a walnut tree nearby but the darn squirrels keeps hiding the nuts in MY flower bed. Every year I gotta pull them darn trees out .

Quote Originally Posted by Tororider View Post
    Where abouts in MI are you? I am in the Brighton area if you ever get down this way I would take a bag of them off your hands.
    I dont think he gonna give you a bag full. Bring a trailer - knowing him he will give you a full trailerload.!

Tractor

I always laugh when I see the oddball places walnut seedlings pop up, no way can those dumb squirrels possibly remember everyplace they buried one...will post some pics later of where I have found some.
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

Tractor
    I did have a pedal John Deere once...

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    I always laugh when I see the oddball places walnut seedlings pop up, no way can those dumb squirrels possibly remember everyplace they buried one...will post some pics later of where I have found some.
    Don't let the squirrels hear you call them that - I've heard they are quite handy with a .44
    "The darkest time is just one hour before dawn" - Johnny Cash.

Tractor
    JD 2720

Quote Originally Posted by wilsone View Post
    Well if they''re anything like macadamias, they will encourage a rat plague if left around for too long (unless your squirrels squirrel them away).

Although it would require a lot of care (safety wise), I am told that in the old days before mechanical dehuskers, people here used to dehusk nuts by jacking up the rear wheel of a car, put it in drive with the engine idling and pass the nuts between the spinning wheel and the ground. I am not recommending this.

Regards
    The only bad thing that I have seen from leaving them on the ground is, the next year I have hundreds of walnut trees as tall as a dandylion to mow down.

I have heard of people husking walnuts that way but the stories were dated back in the 50's or even earlier. I think "modern" mankind has figured out better ways than our grandfathers.
    HAVE FUN

Life is easier when you plow around the stumps.

Qualicum Beach on Vancouver Island, BC. Canada
    Tractor
    2008 CK35 HST

??? TEN YEARS OLD??? I have one in my backyard that is at least 15 years old and it has never produced a single nut.
    Took a couple of pics today. One of the walnuts drying and one of the two trees, could be hard to see but there are still a lots of walnuts on the trees in their green shell.
    Figure we will have about 250-300 total.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -walnutsgoats-011-jpg   -walnutsgoats-010-jpg  

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

On all the survival shows, emphasis is placed of expending less energy than gained when seeking food. Do we need to cross walnuts off of our survival list?
    Which is bigger?: a) $100 per month since the Big Bang or b) the US National Debt.

Tractor
    1986 MF 1040, 1942 Farmall A, 1949 Farmall Super A

Given the dismal growing season in mid-Michigan this year for tree fruits and garden crops, I had expected a low harvest of black walnuts from our trees. Well, it appears the weather INCREASED production of the darn things....I have one huge tree out front and have measured an average of about 7-8 nuts dropped per square foot...and the tree is dropping them over an area of about 55 feet square. How do you guys get rid of them? In years with low yield I use a pick up tool and toss them into a plastic dishpan that I drag around with a rope, them empty the pan into the loader bucket and haul it back...but this year after filling the loader bucket three times I have barely made a dent in the harvest.
    Good Mornin JDgreen227,
    My neighbor has walnut issues, unfortunately the resident red squirrels packed the engine compartment solid with these walnuts !

He is now parking his Toyota PU on our property until he can rid his yard of all these walnuts !

The funny part is that a few days ago, I saw a gray squirrel exiting his engine compartment with another walnut in his mouth, so I called him just to let him now he didnt get all the walnuts out of his truck
    scotty

,,,course,,it is gas,and gas is,,well,gas,,so,,but it kills the @#$$ oughta them yellow jackets,,,thingy

http://www.tractorbynet.com/content/...onth-scott_vt/

Elite Member
    Tractor
    John Deer Lt160

On all the survival shows, emphasis is placed of expending less energy than gained when seeking food. Do we need to cross walnuts off of our survival list?

Think of all the small creatures that come to the tree to eat them. You could sit there with a .22 or pellet gun and eat for very little energy.

Tractor

Shown is the size of the second biggest walnut tree on my property, the one in the front yard the OP is about, as well as the smaller 15 year old one that has never produced a nut, and the row of the largest four in the back part of my property. If you look at the trunk of the third one back there, you can see where a lightning strike blew off the bark in a vertical line.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -019-jpg   -020-jpg   -021-jpg  

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 8910111213 LastLast