Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213
    Tractor
    I did have a pedal John Deere once...

Default Re: Got walnuts?

Quote Originally Posted by riptides View Post
    A chance would be a fine thing, eh Bill?
    "The darkest time is just one hour before dawn" - Johnny Cash.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

We have four wild black walnut trees on our property. This thread kicked off my interest in finally harvesting some of them. They key to removing most of the nutmeat intact is soaking them in hot tap water for 24 hours. Until I learned this tip I was very frustrated at the results.

Yesterday while cracking some, I got really excited when I managed to remove an entire nut intact. However, the excitement multiplied to the moon when a bit later I really hit the jackpot with an intact triplet.

My method for cracking is my 4" bench vice. One video I watched tells you to insert the nut lengthwise into the vice, with the seams running horizontally, the ends of the nut against the jaws. This didn't work so well for me, so I decided to insert the nut with the seams running vertically. As you can see from the picture, my results were stunning.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -1229121438b-jpg  
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

OP here...got a query: "Soaking them in hot tap water for 24 hours....?" Tap water doesn't stay hot for long as it will cool to room temperature quickly. Does your method require you to keep running hot tap water over the nuts for 24 hours?
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    OP here...got a query: "Soaking them in hot tap water for 24 hours....?" Tap water doesn't stay hot for long as it will cool to room temperature quickly. Does your method require you to keep running hot tap water over the nuts for 24 hours?
    I know I made it sound as if the water has to be constantly hot, but I found if I changed the water just three times it was sufficient. The nutmeat seems to shrivel just enough to enable you to slip it out of the shell.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota l3130

I don't have black walnuts, but have a generous supply of English walnuts. For Christmas I made a couple batches of candied walnuts, and they were very popular. Candied walnuts are simple to do, just sugar, milk and cinnamon to a soft ball stage, add vanilla when you take it off the heat, roast the walnuts for about 5 to 10 minutes (don't overdo it) mix the walnuts and sugar, let them cool and dust them with powdered sugar. Even after Christmas dinner, a bowl of them vanished in about 20 minutes. It's the kind of candy I like - mostly nut. Black walnuts would taste really good that way.

Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

One more important trick I gleaned from the internet is the use of side cutter pliers. Most of the time you will need them to nibble away at the hard shells. Until I started using them I was very frustrated by the process.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 310111213