Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L4240 HSTC,L3000DT

Default Re: Got walnuts?

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    You mean "transplant"...ummm, okay this is the ideal time of the year to transplant smaller trees. Not sure how large the one you found is but be prepared to dig deep and get at least 3/4 of the roots and if possible give it lots of water before digging it out and especially AFTER you transplant it. Black walnuts are very slow growing, the smallest one I have is at least 15 years old and is still only 18 feet high and has never produced a nut yet. The leaves are very small and these trees are one of the last to grow leaves in spring and one of the first to drop them in the fall. DO NOT plant a black walnut near a garden or flowerbeds....the leaves contain a compound (juglone) that is deadly to many flower and vegetable species...especially tomatoes. Another thing...besides the small messy leaves, they drop long leaf stalks which are great at clogging gutters.
    The tree is way to big to move(plus it belongs to a friend) I want to harvest the nuts and plant.........

Tractor
    Which one?

On a different nut... our oak trees are producing a bumper crop of acorns.
    I like to play in the dirt....
    Satoh Beaver w/Blackhawk loader & hoe.
    JD855 w/stuff.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Given the dismal growing season in mid-Michigan this year for tree fruits and garden crops, I had expected a low harvest of black walnuts from our trees. Well, it appears the weather INCREASED production of the darn things....I have one huge tree out front and have measured an average of about 7-8 nuts dropped per square foot...and the tree is dropping them over an area of about 55 feet square. How do you guys get rid of them? In years with low yield I use a pick up tool and toss them into a plastic dishpan that I drag around with a rope, them empty the pan into the loader bucket and haul it back...but this year after filling the loader bucket three times I have barely made a dent in the harvest.
    I also expected a lower than average crop this year, but they seem to be very heavy. A friend of mine puts a trash can on its side and he and his boys play walnut hockey shooting them into the can. Sharpens their skills, is fun and gets the job done at the same time.
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

I have a few wild ones, by my METAL chicken coup roofs and cottage.

Yeah, it's a flipping bumper crop this year.

Tractor
    JD 4310

Given the dismal growing season in mid-Michigan this year for tree fruits and garden crops, I had expected a low harvest of black walnuts from our trees. Well, it appears the weather INCREASED production of the darn things....I have one huge tree out front and have measured an average of about 7-8 nuts dropped per square foot...and the tree is dropping them over an area of about 55 feet square. How do you guys get rid of them? In years with low yield I use a pick up tool and toss them into a plastic dishpan that I drag around with a rope, them empty the pan into the loader bucket and haul it back...but this year after filling the loader bucket three times I have barely made a dent in the harvest.
    Where abouts in MI are you? I am in the Brighton area if you ever get down this way I would take a bag of them off your hands.
    Tororider
    John Deere 4310
    Frontier Finish Mower, Wallenstein Bx62 Chipper, front end pallet forks, KK 5' Rototiller

Check out my homestead blog at www.homesteaddad.com

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

I'm wondering if they wouldn't be a good source of fuel for a wood burning stove or furnace, once the green husks were removed...assuming that by "getting rid of them" burning would be acceptable.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    A friend of mine puts a trash can on its side and he and his boys play walnut hockey shooting them into the can. Sharpens their skills, is fun and gets the job done at the same time.

Wow, that sounds very messy. What doesn't get stained?

Keith

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Quote Originally Posted by KTurner View Post
    Wow, that sounds very messy. What doesn't get stained?

Keith
    With young boys, "what doesn't get stained" is kinda a question with an already known answer, yes?
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor
    JD 2720

I finally found the pic (from 2008?) I was looking for. This wagon is about 5x9 and loaded with walnuts from one tree that hangs over the driveway.

-photo_0001-jpg
    HAVE FUN

Life is easier when you plow around the stumps.

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by 2LaneCruzer View Post
    I'm wondering if they wouldn't be a good source of fuel for a wood burning stove or furnace, once the green husks were removed...assuming that by "getting rid of them" burning would be acceptable.
    PUH-LEEZE...if I wanted to go thru all the work and mess involved in shucking the darn things odds are I would burn more energy picking them up and shucking them than would be provided by burning them for fuel...interesting concept, however. Two of the members here from Michigan, one in Belleville and one in Brighton, say they will be happy to have some. Don't the local or county parks nearby you guys have any black walnut trees?
    Rather than worry about the things you want but don't have, be grateful for the things you don't want and don't have.

I didn't plan to do much of anything today, but by noon I was almost half done.

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast