Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Default Re: Got walnuts?

Guys....shown is a picture of my 5 foot wide loader bucket with a count of 2100 walnuts in it, and the tree has produced enough nuts this year to fill the bucket up to the same level five times now and there are still at least two bucket fulls left to pick up. Tree is shown for size reference. The picture of the two walnuts shows the size of most regular nuts and there is one smaller tree out back that produces and drops the larger size...have gotten about 400 total this year from that tree. The bigger ones have a nut worth shucking and saving.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Got walnuts?-023.jpg   Got walnuts?-022.jpg   Got walnuts?-021.jpg  
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Tractor
    LS R3039, Power King 1614, Simplicity Soveriegn 75th Aniv model.

Yikes! I would say you have a bumper crop this year. Now get busy shucking!

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    Tree is shown for size reference.
    That is a good sized tree. Any idea how old?

Keith

Elite Member
    Tractor
    1949 farmall, 1961 Fordson Dexta, 1986 Duetz Allis, 2001 Kubota.

Years ago. there was an old country doctor who while making his rounds would use the heel of his boot to bury a walnut in the ground and say, there will be another money tree. Money does grow on trees!

mark
    red tractor
    blue tractor
    green tractor
    orange tractor
    too many impliments to list

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by KTurner View Post
    That is a good sized tree. Any idea how old?

Keith
    There is a row of several others out back about the same size but not as well shaped....the one pictured measures just over 57' in height and is 9 1/2' around at the base. I would say at least 65-70 years old but perhaps older.
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Elite Member
    Tractor
    International 2500a with Loader

it must be a good year for nut crop in general,i have oaks in my yard and have never seen as many acorns as this year.i pick up a 55 gallon drum and there still a blanket on the lawn.

Tractor
    Power Trac PT425 2001 Model Year

Guys....shown is a picture of my 5 foot wide loader bucket with a count of 2100 walnuts in it, and the tree has produced enough nuts this year to fill the bucket up to the same level five times now and there are still at least two bucket fulls left to pick up. Tree is shown for size reference. The picture of the two walnuts shows the size of most regular nuts and there is one smaller tree out back that produces and drops the larger size...have gotten about 400 total this year from that tree. The bigger ones have a nut worth shucking and saving.
    You need to hire some squirrels!
    MossRoad

Click On My Little Tractor
    To See Pictures And Videos
    Of It In Action!!!

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by MossRoad View Post
    You need to hire some squirrels!
    There are ten walnut trees further back and the squirrels stay there as my 12 pound tabby has totally wiped out the squirrel population up around the house. DARN. BTW my brother trapped a squirrel in his garage yesterday and he came out here to free the critter...does that count as hiring?

Gold Member

There is a row of several others out back about the same size but not as well shaped....the one pictured measures just over 57' in height and is 9 1/2' around at the base. I would say at least 65-70 years old but perhaps older.
    According to this estimate formula, a black walnut that measures 8.5' around at 4.5' high is estimated at almost 150 years old.

Keith

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by KTurner View Post
    According to this estimate formula, a black walnut that measures 8.5' around at 4.5' high is estimated at almost 150 years old.

Keith
    WOW...!!! I was just making a guess, the tree I referred to was obviously planted and tended and the owners of the house shown in the pics built it about 1951...you say 4.5' from ground level...have to go measure that. Thanks.

Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast