Got walnuts?

/ Got walnuts?
Guys....shown is a picture of my 5 foot wide loader bucket with a count of 2100 walnuts in it, and the tree has produced enough nuts this year to fill the bucket up to the same level five times now and there are still at least two bucket fulls left to pick up. Tree is shown for size reference. The picture of the two walnuts shows the size of most regular nuts and there is one smaller tree out back that produces and drops the larger size...have gotten about 400 total this year from that tree. The bigger ones have a nut worth shucking and saving.

Attachments

• 023.jpg
    023.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 109
  • 022.jpg
    022.jpg
    570 KB · Views: 114
  • 021.jpg
    021.jpg
    573.4 KB · Views: 119
   / Got walnuts? #42  
Yikes! I would say you have a bumper crop this year. Now get busy shucking!

/ Got walnuts? #44  
Years ago. there was an old country doctor who while making his rounds would use the heel of his boot to bury a walnut in the ground and say, there will be another money tree. Money does grow on trees!

mark

/ Got walnuts?
That is a good sized tree. Any idea how old?

Keith

There is a row of several others out back about the same size but not as well shaped....the one pictured measures just over 57' in height and is 9 1/2' around at the base. I would say at least 65-70 years old but perhaps older.

/ Got walnuts? #46  
it must be a good year for nut crop in general,i have oaks in my yard and have never seen as many acorns as this year.i pick up a 55 gallon drum and there still a blanket on the lawn.

/ Got walnuts? #47  
Guys....shown is a picture of my 5 foot wide loader bucket with a count of 2100 walnuts in it, and the tree has produced enough nuts this year to fill the bucket up to the same level five times now and there are still at least two bucket fulls left to pick up. Tree is shown for size reference. The picture of the two walnuts shows the size of most regular nuts and there is one smaller tree out back that produces and drops the larger size...have gotten about 400 total this year from that tree. The bigger ones have a nut worth shucking and saving.

You need to hire some squirrels!

/ Got walnuts?
You need to hire some squirrels!

There are ten walnut trees further back and the squirrels stay there as my 12 pound tabby has totally wiped out the squirrel population up around the house. DARN. BTW my brother trapped a squirrel in his garage yesterday and he came out here to free the critter...does that count as hiring?

/ Got walnuts? #49  
There is a row of several others out back about the same size but not as well shaped....the one pictured measures just over 57' in height and is 9 1/2' around at the base. I would say at least 65-70 years old but perhaps older.

According to this estimate formula, a black walnut that measures 8.5' around at 4.5' high is estimated at almost 150 years old.

Keith

/ Got walnuts?
According to this estimate formula, a black walnut that measures 8.5' around at 4.5' high is estimated at almost 150 years old.

Keith

WOW...!!! I was just making a guess, the tree I referred to was obviously planted and tended and the owners of the house shown in the pics built it about 1951...you say 4.5' from ground level...have to go measure that. Thanks.