Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast
    Tractor
    Mahindra 2615HST

Default Re: Got walnuts?

Most of us probably own a couple of vice grips. It is a cheap easy way to crack nuts. Although a bit slow, it does a great job.
    I thank God for these gifts: 2005 Mahindra 2615 HST w/loader, (485 hours), and 3710 backhoe. Markham tooth bar, Bush Hog SQ60 rotary cutter, Bush Hog 3507 angle blade, Bush Hog LLR84 landscape rake w/gauge wheels, Rankin loader mounted forks, Paumco Quick Spade, Agri-Ease 3 point log splitter.

Tractor
    Kubota L3830GST, B7500HST, BX2660

My parents have the homemade version of that one and it works very well on their walnuts.

Aaron Z
    A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects.
    Robert Heinlein, Time Enough for Love

Tractor
    4210 MFWD Ehydro--'89 JD 318

Quote Originally Posted by KTurner View Post
    According to this estimate formula, a black walnut that measures 8.5' around at 4.5' high is estimated at almost 150 years old.

Keith
    Diameter at 54" above ground level is the same as the base, trunk does not taper at all, which calculates to an age of just over 163 years...I have a smaller black walnut out back that I grew from a seedling, going to measure that one when I go back out as I know it is 17 years old.
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

R.I.P.
    Tractor
    Kubota BX2200

Quote Originally Posted by JDgreen227 View Post
    Diameter at 54" above ground level is the same as the base, trunk does not taper at all, which calculates to an age of just over 163 years...I have a smaller black walnut out back that I grew from a seedling, going to measure that one when I go back out as I know it is 17 years old.
    I know it seems like a pain sometimes, but I'd love to have that beautiful tree in my yard.

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L210

I do pretty well with a vise to crack them. You can control the break point and catch the fragments as they fall. I've tried to figure out which way to orient the nuts in the vise to get the best breaking pattern, but haven't settled on a particular way yet....seems pretty random how they break.

I don't mind the flavor of the nuts afer the husk has gone black, so I usually wait until then to harvest. I put on some rubber boots and gloves and squish the nuts out of the softened husks. I wait until they dry a bit before shelling them, so my hands don't get quite so stained.

Chuck

Silver Member

I was told black walnuts are not ok to eat?
    I enjoy my cars, garden and tractors!

Veteran Member
    Tractor
    Kubota L210

If you were here in Missouri, you could probably sell those nuts to the Hammond company. They may be the only commercial source for black walnut meat. I remember seeing a hulling machine set up in one of the small towns along the road that runs east on the north side of the Missouri form Jefferson City. Folks were waiting with pickup truck loads of the nuts waiting to hull them. I only have one small black walnut tree on my place and it didn't make any nuts this year. When it does produce, the bucket or so it makes is all I care to crack anyway.

Chuck

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by BrianDT View Post
    I was told black walnuts are not ok to eat?
    If they are not okay to eat, why do the stores sell them?
    Never be ashamed of making a mistake. The only people who never (bleep) up are people who never try to do something new.

"I have never learned from a man who agreed with me." Attributed to Robert A. Heinlein

Tractor

The 17 year old one I just measured calculated to a shade over 23 years using the estimate formula, and a sugar maple 50 feet away from it that I know to have been above ground for 12 years calculates to 37 years old using the formula...?????

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

The 17 year old one I just measured calculated to a shade over 23 years using the estimate formula, and a sugar maple 50 feet away from it that I know to have been above ground for 12 years calculates to 37 years old using the formula...?????
    Yeah!

I went out to my creek bed and measured a white oak that had come down.

By the formula it is 180 years old.

A branch has rings on it that I counted at about 100. Somehow I don't see this working out, the formula, that is.

If I can get the saw through the base this weekend, I'll go back and count the rings.

Page 6 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3456789 ... LastLast