Got walnuts?

/ Got walnuts? #62  
   / Got walnuts?
EE_Bota...how can anyone not know how to harvest black walnuts?

1. Bend over

2. Pick up nut

Simple, huh?

/ Got walnuts?
Save your back, crawl.

The way I harvest mine, I use a good quality pick up tool with rubber cups on the end and a big plastic dishpan that holds 300 nuts, I drag the pan around with a rope and pick up the nuts with the tool, no bending and no lifting until I dump them in the loader bucket. For those who want to know, I have found that 100 average size nuts in the husk weigh about ten pounds.

/ Got walnuts? #66  
Saw my first walnut in the raw this week-end. A Romanian woman told me what i was holding in my hand. She didn't know the word walnut but said it was a type of nut and to strip the husk off. Which i did with my hands......Oh and by the way that stain that will develop will wear off in a few days or so.:laughing:

/ Got walnuts?
I was wondering how much black walnuts would be worth to a buyer...the information I found was prices paid for walnuts that have been shucked are about $8-10 per 100 pounds. Using my example of 100 in the husk weighing 10 pounds, lets say 200 with the husks removed weigh 10 pounds. So that would mean 2000 that were shucked would be worth maybe ten bucks. Figure in the time to collect them, then to shuck them, then to transport to a buyer...not worth the effort to me.

/ Got walnuts? #68  
If they are not okay to eat, why do the stores sell them?

The only reason I thought they were not edible is bacuase the place I bought mine from said the nuts were mainly for animals and could be toxic to humans. Seemed odd, but I assumed they knew what they were talking about. I guess not....

/ Got walnuts? #70  
I was wondering how much black walnuts would be worth to a buyer...the information I found was prices paid for walnuts that have been shucked are about $8-10 per 100 pounds. Using my example of 100 in the husk weighing 10 pounds, lets say 200 with the husks removed weigh 10 pounds. So that would mean 2000 that were shucked would be worth maybe ten bucks. Figure in the time to collect them, then to shuck them, then to transport to a buyer...not worth the effort to me.

I think most buyers will shuck them for you, then pay you the shucked weight. At leats, that's what I think they do around here.

Try this place, if you are interested.
Hammons Black Walnuts