Got walnuts?

/ Got walnuts? #81  
I subscribed to forestry news letter and this morning he had a couple of good articles about Black Walnuts. What the tree likes, dislikes, and general information. He also had a second article about harvesting the nuts which had quite a bit of good information including when to harvest, how to husk and what to use to get out the meat.

Harvesting a Black Walnut Crop for Seeds and Nuts

Later,
Dan

/ Got walnuts? #82  
I subscribed to forestry news letter and this morning he had a couple of good articles about Black Walnuts. What the tree likes, dislikes, and general information. He also had a second article about harvesting the nuts which had quite a bit of good information including when to harvest, how to husk and what to use to get out the meat.

Later,
Dan

Now that was an interesting link.

The harvesting link had a part on uses - "filler for dynamite". Well, time to go get some more nuts! :)

/ Got walnuts?

Later,
Dan

I saved 15 gallons of the biggest walnuts I found and ran my tractor over the hulls to semi-shuck them and then delivered the end product to my mom in law. She puts them on a tarp in her garage and during the winter months she cracks open a few at a time.

/ Got walnuts? #84  
When I was a kid, we'd shell enough to add to fudge. Chocolate fudge with black walnuts is special.

Anyone else ever find a hickory with nuts big enough to shell? I don't know the variety, but there was a huge hickory near my childhood home that made nuts with a reasonable amount of meat in them. Tasted pretty much like black walnut, to me, but the nuts were nicer to work with.

Chuck

/ Got walnuts? #85  
Now that was an interesting link.

The harvesting link had a part on uses - "filler for dynamite". Well, time to go get some more nuts! :)

Yeah, the uses were surprising.

The ground up shells provide special products. Manufacturers use shells to deburr precision gears. Ground shell products are also used to clean jet engines, as additives to drilling mud for oil drilling operations, as filler in dynamite, as a nonslip agent in automobile tires, as an air-pressured propellant to strip paints, as a filter agent for scrubbers in smokestacks, and as a flour-like carrying agent in various insecticides.

I ASSUME that "Ground shell products" are not just black walnut shells. I find it hard to believe that so many black walnuts are harvested to supply that long list of products. I never would have guessed the shells were used so many ways. I need to go tell MossFlowerWoods he needs to crack some black walnuts, grind them into a flour like consistency and mix with borax to kill his itty, bitty basement crickets that are bug'n him. :laughing::laughing::laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Got walnuts?
When I was a kid, we'd shell enough to add to fudge. Chocolate fudge with black walnuts is special.

Anyone else ever find a hickory with nuts big enough to shell? I don't know the variety, but there was a huge hickory near my childhood home that made nuts with a reasonable amount of meat in them. Tasted pretty much like black walnut, to me, but the nuts were nicer to work with.

Chuck

HMMMM....about 300 feet north of my property line there is a HUGE shagbark hickory tree...I will sneak out there early some morning and see what the nuts are like....if the crops surrounding the tree were corn I could look anytime...but this year they are soybeans. Gotta be careful though as I know the area around the tree is loaded with poison ivy. Will post pics of the nuts tomorrow early.

/ Got walnuts? #87  
Went to the friends to harvest a few walnuts of plant.....not ONE NUT left.Its a small tree maybe 15ft.high and 12in.in diameter.It was totally loaded last week.I assume the squirrels and deer cleaned them up as soon as they dropped.Next year I will pick off the tree.

/ Got walnuts? #88  
Years ago, they were ground and put into the tread of snow tires.

mark

/ Got walnuts?
Went to the friends to harvest a few walnuts of plant.....not ONE NUT left.Its a small tree maybe 15ft.high and 12in.in diameter.It was totally loaded last week.I assume the squirrels and deer cleaned them up as soon as they dropped.Next year I will pick off the tree.

I have thousands of walnuts lying back where deer roam and have never seen any sign of deer eating them, EVERE. Just did a Google search and it says deer will not consume them either with the husk on or off. I took a bite of black walnut husk one time....UGGGGHHHH !!! Can't believe squirrels will chew the husk off but maybe they taste good to them.