Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly?

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #41  
Several years ago when I was shopping I was really leaning towards plasma but if you don't have COMPLETE control over the light sources in the room there is going to be glare. That big 55" piece of glass is like a mirror and any sunlight in the room really washes it out, combine that with the energy saving features for plasma which really backs down the brightness and whites and the result is not good. Now in a home theater setting where you can have no natural light and limited table lamps and low angle light then its not a problem.

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #42  
I have a 50" Panasonic plasma. Its 6 years old and only 720P but the picture is superb. I haven't noticed any heat issues although it is warm and has fans (the newer ones don't need them). Also, Fox news has lots of hours on this TV and there has been no burn in. We just got a new TV center that will hold a 60" and I have been researching getting a 60" 1080p TV. LCD/LEDs are not even in the running. Just don't like the soap opera/cartoonish/fake look on the LCD nor do I like the jerky sports programs. And the plasmas cost less than LCD/LEDs.

If there is a drawback it is the glossy glass screen. The dining room chandelier is visible from my chair (in the TV) and its better if I turn it off. There is also a dining room window that is better if we pull the shade on the one window. But the TV is plenty bright in our lighting even during the day. We leave our shades open all along the back of the living area.

Very happy with the old TV - it will be headed for the bedroom where it will replace the LCD in there.

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #43  
Plasma will go the route of the eight track cassette.LCD/LED 's are physicaly lighter ,burn less power and have very good pictures.Also prices continue to fall,the 42" LCD we purchased for $1,000 is now about $550. We own five total.

No reason to think plasma will go away. They are cheaper than LCDs now, and have alot of advantages and most of the disadvantages are disappearing.

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #44  
This is a great thread for me...
I have gone through only 3 TV's in my married life and my current unit is an old CRT that is 12 years old...
I tend to junk them when they die...
That said the last one I purchased I bought upon the recommendation from a fellow colleague of mine that teaches with me at the community college...
He is an electronics instructor who also works in the TV electronics industry as a tech...
So many choices now with improving technologies and lower prices...
I do know that the next unit I buy will have internet capabilities...
That is the only thing that I have definitely decided upon...

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #45  
I also have two different calibration discs on Blu Ray, they will get you close.

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly?
Thanks everyone; you have been quite generous with your experiences. I haven't decided just yet what we will get, but most of my concerns over Plasma TV's have been taken care of. I hadn't heard the part about the "bulb burning out"...what is that all about? And...the fact that the plasma cannot be stored or transported in any other configuration except "up"?

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #47  
Bulb burn out is more of a DLP issue, I am unsure if you can even buy a DLP any more, My DLP has a great picture, I have had it since 07 or 08 and I am still on the factory bulb, But is is only used for a movie here or there and for gaming.

You will be very happy with a Plasma, I would stick with Samsung or Panny, Pioneer used to have teh best ones out but they don't make them anymore.

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #48  
No motion blur on our 55" Vizio 240Hz LCD Full Array LED Back Lit, not Edge lit TV. The PQ is awesome, stops people in their tracks when they see it. Barely any heat at all.

Same here. I also have Vizio 240hz and no motion blur. I have way to many windows in my house for Plasma.

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #49  
I recently went through this process. I researched a lot and then when I went to look at them, found the best picture IMO was the Panasonic Vierra Plasma (50" is what I bought). I bought an LCD at the same time for my bedroom (36"). I had both calibrated. The LCD is very bright and colors almost exaggerated to my taste, but it is a clear picture. I do not watch sports on that TV though for the movement blur. To be fair, the Vierra has a much higher refresh rate, but the colors are also perfect and blacks very black with no blur at all and images are sharp as a tack. I love the TV and am very glad I went with it. I have it mounted in the LR above the FP and it is slightly angled down and I think this helps reduce the glare issue others have mentioned because I don't have a problem with that at all. It could also be because the windows in the LR lead to the covered porch and I just don't get any sunlight on the TV at all, so YMMV. I've had it about a year and a half now, so another brand may be better, but since the question was about plasma being good or not, my 2 cents is that it is good and I would definitely keep it in consideration when looking at all of them.

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #50  
I recently went through this process. I researched a lot and then when I went to look at them, found the best picture IMO was the Panasonic Vierra Plasma (50" is what I bought). I bought an LCD at the same time for my bedroom (36"). I had both calibrated. The LCD is very bright and colors almost exaggerated to my taste, but it is a clear picture. I do not watch sports on that TV though for the movement blur. To be fair, the Vierra has a much higher refresh rate, but the colors are also perfect and blacks very black with no blur at all and images are sharp as a tack. I love the TV and am very glad I went with it. I have it mounted in the LR above the FP and it is slightly angled down and I think this helps reduce the glare issue others have mentioned because I don't have a problem with that at all. It could also be because the windows in the LR lead to the covered porch and I just don't get any sunlight on the TV at all, so YMMV. I've had it about a year and a half now, so another brand may be better, but since the question was about plasma being good or not, my 2 cents is that it is good and I would definitely keep it in consideration when looking at all of them.

How is the audio on your Plasma ? Do you have any connections for a home theater system on the back of it ? and how many HDMI outputs does it have ?

We have an 8 yr. old Panasonic 42 in. plasma and it works great but we are getting tempted to buy a bigger one like yours and move this one to our bonus room...We have ours above our fireplace as well and our living room also opens onto a screened porch so light is no problem for us either...by the way..when we bought this 42 in Panasonic Plasma in 2004...they were relatively new ...get this..It cost us $3,000.00 and change and we bought a service contract for 5 yrs. for another $500...it was circuity city and they were cheaper than best buy...but since Plasmas were so new , everyone said...buy the service contract...LOL...Now we could buy the 42 in. Plasma for $500...the price of our service contract...