Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly?

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #1  

2LaneCruzer

Super Star Member
Tractor
John Deere LX172
We're about ready for a new thin, HDTV in the 55" range, and based on reputation and old rumors, I had just about dismissed buying a plasma TV. In doing some research, it seems there are some advantages to plasma, including a slightly better picture, wider viewing angle and price.... and...they apparently are as long lived as an LCD or an LED TV. The downside(?) is something called burn in. My question, is this REALLY a problem for someone who uses a TV as a TV and maybe plays a DVD occasionally? Is plasma really inferior in any way? Thanks in advance.

Dennis

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #2  
Plasma's make more heat, and they radiate a lot of RF energy. Probably not a concern unless someone in your home or a nearby neighbor likes to listen to HF radio. I wouldn't have one on the place.:)

James K0UA

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #3  
I have a 55 inch plasma and a 42 inch led. The led is 4 years newer than the plasma and smaller. Both were top of the line Panasonics. The plasma provies a much sharper more brilliant image. Disadvantage of plasma's is that they do indeed make more heat and are not as efficient with electric. The plasma also will catch more reflection than the led.

Last edited:
   / Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #5  
I chose a Plasma TV as I can't stand the motion blurring with the LCD TV's. I also like the other things that you mentioned. Burn In is not the issue it once was, most all of the plasma sets now use various image shifting techniques to all but eliminate it. Although if you watch a lot of news shows with the banners at the bottom, over a long period of time, then you might see something. As James said.. they do radiate a noticeable amount of heat. They were about the equivalent of a 200w light bulb. The manufacturers have done some things to reduce power consumption and they can now meet Energy Efficiency standards, but they do so at the expense of brightness. The other issues are, some screens are highly reflective and that can be annoying in a brightly lit room as you will see the room, windows, people reflected on the screen. Also, on rare occasions, there is a high pitch squeal that comes from the TV, it seems to be background dependent. On mine it seems to happen when the screen is more than 98% pure white. There are about 3 static images that do it on my set. It is not loud, I hear it, my wife does not, some brands/models are worse than others.

HTH

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #6  
We have a 65 inch Plasma in our basement. Works great for us would go with another FYI its a Panasonic 3 yrs old

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #7  
Yep Plasma is good, had a 50 LCD and wanted to go to a 3D TV so got a 52 inch Plasma. Love it and the contrast ratio is awesome on plasma. Hooked to a 7.2 Pioneer amp and Wilkins speakers. Really good movie nights!

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #8  
I have a 3 year old 50 inch plasma. Part of the reason, as mentioned by another poster, is when watching sports or high speed action there tends to be less of a blur than with LCD. Happy with my plasma and would get another. Also burn in has not been an issue with mine.

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #9  
This is my take:

Plasma owners, this is a general slam in your direction. Feel free to rebut if you must, I know how much you love your plasmas.

Have you noticed most of the posts are suggesting plasma? I do believe there is a reason for that and it is not because plasma is "better" (all things considered, I don't think it is) but rather I get the feeling plasma owners are a lot like Apple computer owners (this includes my own brother). They paid a little more for their unit (read "materialistic" here) and this generally leads to a certain amount of bragging, usually to deaf ears as most people aren't that nit-picky on the super-fine details. Folks who bought the LCD TV's probably are less inclined to "keep up with the Smiths" or do them one better. A lot like PC owners. We just want to get the computing job at hand done so we can move on to the bigger picture, we don't have hang-ups about Apple vs. PC.

I have a top-of-the-line Sony LCD and no matter what anyone says, it is a mighty fine picture.

That is my opinion and I'm sticking to it. So here's my advice: Save your money, buy an LCD, then spend the money you saved on a tooth bar for your tractor.

/ Plasma TV's? Good, bad or ugly? #10  
This is my take:
I get the feeling plasma owners are a lot like Apple computer owners ...

I expect that's the case. Same with Stihl vs. Husky chainsaws, Ford/Chevy trucks, etc. etc. LED all the way for me (I need to be able to connect to PC) but if you really want to get down in the weeds w/ Plasma vs. LCD there's plenty of ammunition to make a case for either:

Plasma vs. LCD vs. LED: Which HDTV Type is Best? | PCMag.com

The difference between plasma and LCD wavered for some time, with each offering different economic and visual benefits depending on the model, price, and time in the life cycle of HDTVs. But in the past couple of years, with the advent of increasingly sophisticated LED backlighting, we finally have a true winner.

or,

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1417960/led-or-plasma-right-now