Whose bone is this?

/ Whose bone is this? #1  

homeinwestIL

Bronze Member
Tractor
1968 gas Ford 3000
I walked the creek in the back of my property this afternoon to see if there were any dead deer as we are having a problem with Epizootic Hemorrhagic Disease (EHD) in the county. I didn't find any dead deer, but found a bone half buried in the creek bed. Obviously too short and thick for a deer. My best guess is that it's a thigh bone from a pig -- a big pig -- though I'm not aware of anyone raising pigs nearby. I suppose a dog or coyote could have carried it into the creek from somewhere.

Attachments

• IMG_7430.jpg
    IMG_7430.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 118
  • IMG_7431.jpg
    IMG_7431.jpg
    148.8 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_7432.jpg
    IMG_7432.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_7433.jpg
    IMG_7433.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 108
   / Whose bone is this? #2  
I'm pretty sure what you have is a femur. Perhaps from a cow.

Edit: I just realized you'd already said you figured it was a thigh bone. Same difference, my bad.

/ Whose bone is this? #4  
Artisan said:
A Midget?

Poor guy had such a terrible affliction and now he's only got one leg?

/ Whose bone is this? #5  
I also live in western IL we have been hearing reports of finding a few, several out by Mill Creek in Adams county. They say it is not able to spread to humans. But nothing will eat the carcass except vultures. Normally a deer carcass will be scavaged by coyotes, possum and various other animals. I am told between Springfield and Decature on the SagamonSP river you can't walk in the woods it smells so bad that the count there is in the 100s.