AED Automated External Defibrillator and Rural Fire Departments

/ AED Automated External Defibrillator and Rural Fire Departments
Thanks for all the good information!

We have the money for an AED. My other concern would be our new roll into the realm of emergency medical calls. Our VFD does not do first responders medical calls. No one has the training. We have no first aid equipment, no oxygen, no compresses to stop bleeding, no stethoscope, no BP cup, no backboard, no splints, nothing to help in a medical emergency. Will the AED open the door in our FD to now be dispatched to medical calls because there are now chest pains and the dispatcher knows we have an AED? Isn't there a minimum amount of training and equipment that is expected by the public when the Fire Department arrives on a medical call?

It seems we are taking step 2 before taking step 1, and no one is volunteering for step 1. Just putting a AED on a truck with most of our response times of 20 minutes or more would be a false sense of security for the public. As this thread has pointed out, only the 6-7 volunteers who are responding to fires or someone who goes into ventricular fibrillation after we get there will benefit from an AED. When we get to a medical emergency and the AED is not needed, but something is wrong, will our in-action because of lack of training and equipment be a liability?

/ AED Automated External Defibrillator and Rural Fire Departments #12  
As a volunteer, I have seen minimums' locally of First Reponder. Our district still has that as minimum, although all of our volunteers have elected to get EMT-B cert. Next district over, has a minimum for volunteers, of EMT-B.

Does Texas have a minimum requirement? Might be worth starting there.

At a minimum, for AED training, you would probably want AHA BLS CPR/AED. I know that is the requirement here for EMT-B and 1st Responder. As AHA instructor, I have also done CPR/AED/1st Aid for local Search and Rescue...

/ AED Automated External Defibrillator and Rural Fire Departments #13  
Our small rural fire department is looking into buying an Automated External Defibrillator (AED). We currently do not do EMS and are not trained as first responders.

After doing some reading about them the maximum time frame that they must be initiated, with CPR already started is 8 minutes. We are really spaced far apart and even with the closest person responding (from home and awake) I doubt if he could be on location in less than 10 minutes. Our normal response time is 15-20 minutes.

Several questions:
1. With this type of response time would it be useless buying one?
2. Is anyone a member of a rural Volunteer FD that has an AED and has used it?
3. If one has been used, what is the time frame in which it was used. and was the life saved?

Any information or experience is appreciated,
Thanks, Don

Hi Don,

I work with Cardiac Science and cover Central Texas. Give me a call to discuss our AEDs. 630.267.1528

/ AED Automated External Defibrillator and Rural Fire Departments #14  
Don,

I live in Austin and cover Central Texas. We sell our AED's for VFD's all the time. Give me a call to discuss. We are having a special for Fire/EMS for the rest of the year.

/ AED Automated External Defibrillator and Rural Fire Departments #15  

/ AED Automated External Defibrillator and Rural Fire Departments #16  
CBW1999 said that their VFD's got one through a Federal grant. Might be worth asking around to see if any grants or matching funds are available.

Our church also recieved one through a grant from a local foundation. We have to maintain it, and keep a minimum number of people certified. (seems like it is 5 or 6) IIRC, The last "tune-up" cost about $125. (new battery and updated software program, etc) I agree with those who have said that it might be "one of your own" that you save.

As a volunteer, I have seen minimums' locally of First Reponder. Our district still has that as minimum, although all of our volunteers have elected to get EMT-B cert. Next district over, has a minimum for volunteers, of EMT-B.

Does Texas have a minimum requirement? Might be worth starting there.

At a minimum, for AED training, you would probably want AHA BLS CPR/AED. I know that is the requirement here for EMT-B and 1st Responder. As AHA instructor, I have also done CPR/AED/1st Aid for local Search and Rescue...

Excellent question Robert. There was a push at the state legislature level a few years ago to have a minimum amount of training to be volunteer. There was so much opposition against it that it never had a chance to pass. There are no background checks and no standards set for a minimum level of training for Volunteer Firefighters in Texas no requirement for continuing education. Scary, isn't it. That is for Firefighters.

I don't know what the minimum training if any is required for firefighters to respond to medical emergencies in Texas, If anyone knows please respond.

cdabelgott, do you or anyone know if the state requires a minimum amount of training before volunteers are allowed to respond to medical emergencies?

Are AEDs exempt from the requirements?

cdabelgott as soon as we can get this figured out and voted on I'll call you, or you can PM me. Thanks

/ AED Automated External Defibrillator and Rural Fire Departments #18  
txdon said:
Our small rural fire department is looking into buying an Automated External Defibrillator (AED). We currently do not do EMS and are not trained as first responders.

After doing some reading about them the maximum time frame that they must be initiated, with CPR already started is 8 minutes. We are really spaced far apart and even with the closest person responding (from home and awake) I doubt if he could be on location in less than 10 minutes. Our normal response time is 15-20 minutes.

Several questions:
1. With this type of response time would it be useless buying one?
2. Is anyone a member of a rural Volunteer FD that has an AED and has used it?
3. If one has been used, what is the time frame in which it was used. and was the life saved?

Any information or experience is appreciated,
Thanks, Don

AED's are a wise investment. I've been retired for five years. The company I worked for made a financial investment into their use. They where located only a few hundred feet apart throughout the main building and surrounding buildings. They then started installing them in the field utility truck along with GPS tracking. Our personnel including myself was Red Cross certified. The new AED's are amazing. They audible every step. fully illustrated as to placement of the shock pads. One was used in the main building before I retired and saved a life. They do work and they do save lives. They are simple to use, as long as the user keeps his/her cool and follows the audible instructions. Will it save every life? I can't say it will or won't. But it will give the victim the best chances of survival till EMT"s arrive.

As for CPR. Everyone should take that coarse. It has changed since I was an instructor a few years back. I have been thinking of contacting the local FD to see if they will set up a session for the locals. Just keep this in perspective. A AED is designed for someone with little or no experience with it. EMT's are trained to use the real deal with paddles.

/ AED Automated External Defibrillator and Rural Fire Departments #19  
I know when I did academy, we had to meet minimum state requirements. that was in '99; I do not know what the requirements are. I went ahead and worked to finish the requirements for a State Fire Marshall FF-1. As part of academy, we trained to First Responder; All of us elected on an individual level, to take EMT classes at the local Junior College. I am not sure what the state minimum requirement is.

Our academy's are typically once a year, and go from January to May; Jan-April being one or two evenings a week, then the last 6 weeks are Saturday manipulative days. Typically it is a cooperative academy with 6-7 local districts, with each of the districts supplying instructors.

I had to go thru physicals, fitness test, background check etc. And, we have minimum hour requirements required for training.

I would guess that fire and ems training requirements vary by state.

Your regional AHA or Red Cross offices might have recommendations for CPR/AED training.

Excellent question Robert. There was a push at the state legislature level a few years ago to have a minimum amount of training to be volunteer. There was so much opposition against it that it never had a chance to pass. There are no background checks and no standards set for a minimum level of training for Volunteer Firefighters in Texas no requirement for continuing education. Scary, isn't it. That is for Firefighters.

I don't know what the minimum training if any is required for firefighters to respond to medical emergencies in Texas, If anyone knows please respond.

....One was used in the main building before I retired and saved a life. They do work and they do save lives. .

The kid, do you know the outcome of the person that was saved? His physical/mental condition and if he is still alive? Thanks Don.