Future alpaca rancher

/ Future alpaca rancher #1  

jtrksn

Tractor
not yet
Going to be developing an alpaca ranch from scratch in lower New York. Have the animals but need the building and of course the tractor!!!

Trying to figure out what is best???

/ Future alpaca rancher #2  
Going to be developing an alpaca ranch from scratch in lower New York. Have the animals but need the building and of course the tractor!!!

Trying to figure out what is best???
We have an alpaca ranch a couple miles away. They have smallish metal buildings and a cut kubota with fel and mower.

/ Future alpaca rancher #3  
Greetings and welcome to TBN. I raise what seems to be a healthy bunch of Moles in my backyard. :D

/ Future alpaca rancher #7  
Hiya jtrksn

Welcome to TBN, my wife and I run a little over 50 alpacas on our farm. They are nice animals and sometimes very funny and easy to manage. We just did shearing a month ago.

Mike

/ Future alpaca rancher
MikeFarm said:
Hiya jtrksn

Welcome to TBN, my wife and I run a little over 50 alpacas on our farm. They are nice animals and sometimes very funny and easy to manage. We just did shearing a month ago.

Mike

Sounds great! We have 28 in Nevada and are going to be relocating to New York... Just an empty lot there!!!

Any suggestions as far as tractor brand, size and the essential implements???

/ Future alpaca rancher #9  
Welcome.

/ Future alpaca rancher #10  
Hiya jtrksn

A tractor depends entirely on your land and what duties you need it for. You need to work that out first before you can pick a tractor. Like are you going to need to slash paddocks to keep the grass down or do you have enough animals for that, do you need to move or lift heavy round hay bales, are you going to be doing hay making yourself (probably not), do you need to do any landscaping, etc. Do you have a neighbour with a tractor that you can ire for the few odd times when you need a tractor?

I just got a tractor recently but went two years without one. A nice neighbour helped out when I occasionally needed one and it was cheaper than owning one. It also allowed me time to research what I really needed in a tractor. Of course if your rich and need one right now to play with this site will help you decide :)

Mike