Pole Barn Interior

/ Pole Barn Interior #11  
Depends a lot on what you intend to do inside the building. But, the perfect product for this job, has yet to be offered.

I have been involved in several pole barns that were drywalled inside, including a body shop, and it worked fine. It offers the best protection from fire, if that is a concern. It also makes repairs, and changes such as filling holes from remodeling easy.

OSB seems to be popular, I personally don't care for the look. But, it is cheap, fast, and easy. It unfortunately offers little resistance to fire.

The biggest drawback to steel, besides cost, and dents, seems to be installing it so that there is a tight enough, long lasting seal at the ceiling, to stop heat loss.

/ Pole Barn Interior #12  

The biggest drawback to steel, besides cost, and dents, seems to be installing it so that there is a tight enough, long lasting seal at the ceiling, to stop heat loss.

Isn't that what they invented caulk for?

Wedge

/ Pole Barn Interior #13  
Isn't that what they invented caulk for? Wedge

It is not a good building practice to rely solely on calk as a sealer. It can be used to produce a seal, provided the steel is fitted well enough to do it. But, calk does not usually provide a lasting seal.

There are also gaskets made for sealing steel siding.

It may be out there, but I have not seen the prefect solution yet.

/ Pole Barn Interior #14  
If you put up steel on the ceiling, you need to put up plastic (vapor barrier first). The plastic won't be a perfect seal, but it will get pretty close. I used 4 mil. Anything lighter probably won't hold up well enough to stay stapled in place. I can't even imagine the effort and cost to fully caulk a steel ceiling.

/ Pole Barn Interior
   / Pole Barn Interior #16  
If my son would have not taken my camera plug I would post some pics of my shop with osb painted and metal on the ceiling. BTW I have Never heard of OSB coming apart without water involved.

/ Pole Barn Interior #17  
thanks for the pictures KennyG. Looks really good. How long have you had the OSB up? Have you had any issues with the sheets delaminating?

That OSB has only been up about 6 months. I decided to leave it unfinished because I have a small storage shed sheathed with OSB (shingles and vinyl siding) that is 13 years old and the interior of the OSB (smooth side) looks brand new.

/ Pole Barn Interior #18  
My pole barn is an addition to the back of my 24' x 24' garage. I built it 18' x 32'. Walls have metal siding outside and metal roof, 6" insulation in the walls and ceiling, and unfinished OSB walls inside. Electric outlets were installed every 8'. Lighting is 8- 4' T8 florescent. I use a mobile home furnace to heat it when I'm out there in winter. If you use OSB you could paint it white to brighten up the area. Drywall isn't too good for a garage or pole barn in my opinion. I did my 24 x 24 garage in drywall and but found it is too easily damaged. When I get the time I'm going to re-do it with OSB as well. I tried attaching some pics but the manage attachments isn't working for me today.

/ Pole Barn Interior #19  
I am at the same place in my building project. I have a 40x56x12 foot with it split into a 40x28 shop side and a 40x28 unfinished storage side. Think i'm going with the OSB painted white with a steel liner ceiling. I visited several friends shops and majority love the OSB sidewalls. Think I'm going with electrical run in conduit on the surface of the OSB so I can easily add outlets and lighting as I finish it out. How are you running your electrical and are you heating your barn?

/ Pole Barn Interior #20  
img18.jpgimg33.jpg Thought I would post a couple pics of my build. Would like to see others, getting power trenched to the barn by the end of the month!