Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

We only sell what we grow and we grow a few hierlooms. We utilize plasticulture and drip irrigation. We sell at framers markets, direct to those who show up on the farm, and restaurants. We also grow other vegetables and berries but really specialize in something old, odd, but always delicious. Like red burgundy okra and black and green ripe maters. I would love to hear about your varieties.
    Last edited by Reyer Farms; 10-10-2012 at 08:25 PM.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Attachment 283952

First ripe ones last year

I have no idea why the pic won't go?

Tractor
    Yanmar 186d, JD 314

Default Re: Heirloom tomatoes and other good stuff

We grew Black cherry tomatoes this year, and will again next year. Looking at others for next year. Great taste, and you can ferment and save the seeds for next years crop.
    Yanmar 186D 1981
    5 foot Unknown brush hog.
    5 foot HF Finish mower.
    5 foot J-Bar back blade.
    HF Quick Hitch.
    Home made land leveler.
    Countyline Middle Buster.

Tractor
    Kubota B21

I love heirloom tomatoes and grow a lot of them every year. This year my favorite was Costoluto Genovese. They say that heirlooms have the best flavor but I have to disagree with that as there are many hybrids that are outstanding such as Sungold, Countrytaste, Sunsugar, etc. I also steer toward indeterminate types unless I plan on canning.

The tomatoes with the ribs are the Costoluto's, they look nice on display as well as tasting good.

- Dennis

Once you see the bandwagon, it's too late.
    www.goldfinch-acres.com
    Kubota B21
    Polaris Ranger
    Yamaha Kodiak

Tractor
    John Deere LX172

Quote Originally Posted by troutsqueezer View Post
    I love heirloom tomatoes and grow a lot of them every year. This year my favorite was Costoluto Genovese. They say that heirlooms have the best flavor but I have to disagree with that as there are many hybrids that are outstanding such as Sungold, Countrytaste, Sunsugar, etc. I also steer toward indeterminate types unless I plan on canning.

The tomatoes with the ribs are the Costoluto's, they look nice on display as well as tasting good.

This year I planted a couple Cherkoee Purple and a couple Mortgage Busters. I like the tomatoes, but they don't produce well here in central Oklahoma, at least not for me. I find that a variety called "Super Fantastic" is the most reliable producer from year to year. I'll look for the Costolutos next year.
    Have Wings, Will Travel.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

I want to try the C genovese. I know murdered the spelling, but they are one that has the qualities I look for. I was all about better/ big boys & Marion's. Never cared for celebrities as they have always acted just like there namesake. Picky, don't do a whole lot, and lack taste. I plant deep and use deep tillage practices. My plants averaged about 6-7 lbs this past season.

My wife is the key. She is the brains, I just a strong back! She started our heirloom adventure with red brandywines and pineapples. I gave her such a hard time because the pineapple only made ONE tomato. Until she cut the million tomato as I called it. It was done for me. The complex sugar and acid mix, flavor flavor flavor.

Has anyone every grown the Berkeley tie-die? I want to grow it so bad but cannot find the seed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -image-2345750894-jpg  

Gold Member
    Tractor
    MF 150, TO-35, John Deere 5065E, Caterpiller 953 track loader

We usually try to plant 4 or 5 varieties because ususally there is one that doesn't do very well in any given season. Supersteak is my favorite, with Beefsteak a close second. My Mom likes the Mr. Stripely, but isn't a fan of the Pineapple. Rutgers for early and canning. Big Mama Roma for thick juice. The only heirloom one I have is a big yellow tomato, I don't even know a name to call it. The vines will get over 10' long and the leaves are a very distinctive shape and color. It's drought and heat tolerant and produces half pound to one pound tomatoes vigorously throughout the season. The frost kills the plants every year.

I actually had a very nice lady from wintersown.org send me some odd heirloom tomato seeds to try. You may check with her. WinterSown.Org HOME
    MBA = More Bad Advice

Veteran Member

-randy-market-jpgwe had cherokee purple, carbon, black krim, amana orange, kelloggs breakfast, italian tree, san marzano, maybe some others. they all sold very well at the farmers market. the picture is from back in the late spring. you can see some of them in the basket there. more pics on fb under the farm name.

Tractor
    Mahindra 5010

Thanks crowbar I will check there.

Randy what is the farm name ? I also did not see the farmers market pic . I am using my phone would that matter?