HughesNet G4

/ HughesNet G4 #41  
I'm on Gen 4 now. It or Wildblue are the only game in our area....NO cell service. I had Wildblue before I had Hughesnet & switched because of their lies and BS. Hughes BS is a little more tolerable. Gen 4 works pretty good but not as fast as broadband in town. If we watch a Netflix movie on line it takes 10% of our monthly allotment of download limit. So we only watch them at the end of the month when we know we have plenty of time left on the plan. Overall we are satisfied now, but that might change as more and more customers come on-line with Gen-4. We have a 2 year contract, the up-grade cost $99.

/ HughesNet G4 #42  
RRR,

How much more Fair Use do you get? How much faster is it? And most importantly, how much more does it cost? Gotta buy all new reciever etc, right?

I hate my HughesNet... contract is up end of March...

Be well,
David

It depends on the plan you use, I got the middle plan which gives me 15 gig per month anytime and an additional 15gig in off hours of 2a to 8a local time. My old plan went on a day to day allowance of about 350meg per day, so my son's tests or class downloads or grand kids playing a game on any given day would cause problems.

My old speed was "up to" 1.5 meg down and 650 or so up while the real speed was closer to 1.1 or so up and 450 or so up. The Gen4 is "up to" 10 meg down and 2 meg up. I have run some speed tests and you know these vary, but I have gotten a 10 gig, but more often 7 or so, not run that many.

The monthly cost is the same and the equipment can be rented or purchased. I think I paid about $100 or so with rebate, but I haven't gotten a bill yet. Overall we are satisfied so far, but only time will tell.

We have no other options, we can't get a cell signal and have checked every other option anyone could suggest. My brothers live out in the flat lands and have a "line of sight system" which works well, but in the hills, we can't get a signal.

I'm on Gen 4 now. It or Wildblue are the only game in our area....NO cell service. I had Wildblue before I had Hughesnet & switched because of their lies and BS. Hughes BS is a little more tolerable. Gen 4 works pretty good but not as fast as broadband in town. If we watch a Netflix movie on line it takes 10% of our monthly allotment of download limit. So we only watch them at the end of the month when we know we have plenty of time left on the plan. Overall we are satisfied now, but that might change as more and more customers come on-line with Gen-4. We have a 2 year contract, the up-grade cost $99.

Your experience pretty much mirrors our own so far. I know Hughes has a bad reputation, but it works fine for us so far and as mentioned, it's the only game around other than Excede and we were not impressed with their customer service when they were Wildblue.

/ HughesNet G4 #43  
TripleR have you seen this yet? A few days ago we were at 85% with 22 days left. Today I checked it and see this:

Download Allowance Status
Plan Allowance: 20000 MB
Allowance Remaining: 20000 MB
Allowance Remaining: 100%
Time Until Allowance Refill (days, hr:min):
14, 15:3

It refilled all by itself in the middle of the billing period?

Type 192.168.0.1 in your address bar & hit send for you usage.

/ HughesNet G4 #44  
TripleR have you seen this yet? A few days ago we were at 85% with 22 days left. Today I checked it and see this:

Plan Allowance: 20000 MB
Allowance Remaining: 20000 MB
14, 15:3

It refilled all by itself in the middle of the billing period?

Type 192.168.0.1 in your address bar & hit send for you usage.

Yes, I saw that before posting this morning as I wanted to check usage since my son had a lot of online work to do last night. I thought it was because we were new to Gen4.

/ HughesNet G4 #45  
No this is our 4th/ month...never happened before. Maaaaybeee they are just being right neighborly:laughing:

/ HughesNet G4 #47  
Just checked mine and it now says:

Plan Allowance: 15000 MB
Allowance Remaining: 15000 MB
26, 13:43

I have tried to check usage, but keep getting error codes on the site.

/ HughesNet G4 #48  
I switched from the old generation Hughesnet to the new Excede. Day and night difference, so much better. The installer was a joke, but that is another story. I also have verizon MIFI cell service, 4G. Excede is faster. I end up using all of both data plans in a month, and usually over. My new 4G mifi does not work on my cradlepoint router like the old one did.

When I first used Cradlepoint I had to research which modems were compatible to which routers. Probably still holds true ... Typically when the term MiFi is used I think of a standalone wireless router that allows a limited number of wireless connections. No way to use it with Cradlepoint that I can think of. The Cradlepoint I'm familiar with had a USB port that accepted a USB modem as well as a wired WAN connection.