HughesNet G4

/ HughesNet G4 #1  

texbaylea

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130HST w/LA723 loader
Is anyone getting service from the new Hughes satelite EchoStar 17 launched July 5, 2012? My wireless provider was bought out by Skybeam in Texas and is getting worse by the day.

I would like to know if the Hughes service is any better than previously reported.

Vernon

Last edited:
   / HughesNet G4 #3  
Our internet through Hughesnet seems to be slower now than it was before. Video? Forget it! Their customer service is non-existent (ie SSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSS) Unless you can understand Indianees, forget about talking to them. Unfortunately, they are our only option, and they know it.

/ HughesNet G4 #4  
Yep, HughesNet is terrible. Although I know nothing about this G4. It doesn't matter though, its still HughesNet and they did it to themselves.

/ HughesNet G4 #6  
Dont do it! Hughesnet was the worst ISP. used to be that you could download 100mb an hour without any issues, then without any notice they changed it to 250mb a day!!! then they reduced the limit to 200mb a day. Called customer service every time I had a issue and they all just say well you can upgrade to a better service plan at 20x the price. Don't know what they do now as the first day DSL was available in my neck of the woods I switched! Have not had a issue since! I can download gig's a day on DSL. Hughesnet lost a class-action sute for false advertising and changing their policies without notifying customers. If you go with Hughesnet you better block YouTube or your ***** will get fap'ed (fair access ploicy) before you know it.

/ HughesNet G4 #7  
Dont do it! Hughesnet was the worst ISP. used to be that you could download 100mb an hour without any issues, then without any notice they changed it to 250mb a day!!! then they reduced the limit to 200mb a day. Called customer service every time I had a issue and they all just say well you can upgrade to a better service plan at 20x the price. Don't know what they do now as the first day DSL was available in my neck of the woods I switched! Have not had a issue since! I can download gig's a day on DSL. Hughesnet lost a class-action sute for false advertising and changing their policies without notifying customers. If you go with Hughesnet you better block YouTube or your ***** will get fap'ed (fair access ploicy) before you know it.

Cant believe they sensor A $ $!!!!

/ HughesNet G4 #8  
Is anyone getting service from the new Hughes satelite
We moved out in the sticks here a couple years ago, and there is no DSL or cable (one reason we moved here, it's out), so I thought my only option for internet would be satellite. I did some research and read dismal reviews about satellite service, and when the local satellite dealer explained the expensive - and inflexible - contract I would have to sign, I started looking for another option.

That's when I found Verizon's wireless MiFi. I've been using Verizon 3G service here for a couple years and have been very happy with it. No, it's not lightening fast like my cable service in the city was, but it is acceptable. I work from home and rely heavily on internet service. For example, I routinely have online meetings where I log onto a customer's PC remotely, and this MiFi has performed well.

If DSL or cable are available, I'd suggest using one of those (I preferred cable). But I can highly recommend the Verizon wireless hot spot where those two services are not available. They've started rolling out 4G service now, but it's not out here yet.

- djb

/ HughesNet G4 #9  
Our internet through Hughesnet seems to be slower now than it was before. Video? Forget it! Their customer service is non-existent (ie SSSSSSSSSSSSUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKSSSSSSSSSS) Unless you can understand Indianees, forget about talking to them. Unfortunately, they are our only option, and they know it.

Swiftriver is right.

I would use less kind words to describe it.
On top of all that, the clock they use to determine the "24 hours"period for exceeding your limits and getting slapped with throttling changes. Some days it expires at noon, 10am, midnight, beats the carp outta me what time...

ALSO it seems we will all need to upgrade, resubscribe and buy NEW equipment to get access to Gen4...

My 2 years is up end of March 13, and I'm gonna look around.

Has anyone heard of this new sat internet company, Excede?

David

/ HughesNet G4 #10  
We have never had any problems with Hughes, but don't have Gen4 yet. We have researched and in our location, there are no other options.