GPS TRACKER

/ GPS TRACKER #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
I need a simple to use GPS tracker to put in a car driven by an elderly person.

I have found several on the internet but they all require an expensive monthly plan. Is there one available that you just put in a SIM card and use it like a cell phone. Don't need real time tracking but just need to find the vehicle in an emergency.

Thanks for your help.

RSKY

/ GPS TRACKER #2  
Use a cell phone. Whatever you use is going to need to tie into some sort of radio network such as the cell phone system. That's how onstar/etc work. There was a project at work 7-8 years ago where a cell phone was used to track the movement of a vehicle. More recently, I believe I've seen phones that were designed for children which would allow the parents to login to a website and track the phone.

Keith

/ GPS TRACKER #3  
I second the cell phone. Something like track my iPhone is already built in.

/ GPS TRACKER #4  
I agree with cell phone. Nearly all smartphones have family safety software you can enable and pay a bit more for the service unless you use a free clunky third party on cell phones. I tried blackberries, androids and iphones and I find that sprint family locator is the best. Your only other option is get a child tracker devices that can be attached or sewn into pants, etc.

/ GPS TRACKER #5  
I need a simple to use GPS tracker to put in a car driven by an elderly person.

I have found several on the internet but they all require an expensive monthly plan. Is there one available that you just put in a SIM card and use it like a cell phone. Don't need real time tracking but just need to find the vehicle in an emergency.

Thanks for your help.

RSKY

Try this one: Vehicle Recovery | Anti Theft Device | Anti Theft System

No monthly plan; pay as you need.

/ GPS TRACKER #6  
We use Sprint Family Locator. Mostly so when wife or daughter call me to tell me they are lost I can see where they are and call them back with directions. Or for the late nights wife or daughter are driving home and they are over due and I don't want to call them, yet, but I feel better knowing where they are on their journey.

/ GPS TRACKER
Was going to get a new cell phone with GPS and use that except in the incident yesterday the old phone had been dropped and the battery came loose and the phone was not working. Also if the elderly person leaves the phone at home it won't work. So I have ordered a tracker from the Apple Store that is hard wired into the cars electrical system. It also has a battery backup. It cost $190 plus $12.95 a month for the service. It is marketed as a way to keep up with teenagers. It will send a text if the vehicle exceeds a certain speed or leaves a certain area. The app is installed on your phone and their location shows on Google Maps.

Person whose vehicle this is going to be mounted on would be highly upset if they knew what I am doing BUT we lost them for about an hour yesterday and it scared us greatly. Turns out they went down the wrong road looking for a certain shop but it is a small town and anyway we want to protect them.

Last edited: