Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service

/ Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service #1  

sixdogs

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040, Kubota MX5100, KubotaL4300, Deere 790 TLB, Farmall Super C
For those of us that care about the weather, I stumbled across this great forecasting site that looks one to 10 months out in both rainfall and temps. It's from the National Weather Service and is a little confusing (go figure) at first. If correct, and it has been for me the past year, the upper midwest --and much of the US---is in for a warm fall, winter and spring. I think I'm OK with that.

Climate Prediction Center - Seasonal Color Maps

/ Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service #2  
Interesting - thanks for posting.
I like NOAA site - all the information without all the annoying ads.
"All we want are the facts." - Joe Friday

/ Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service #3  
The problem is, forecasting weather for more than about 48 hours, is simply computer aided guessing.

Last year, NOAA long term projections for my area could not possibly have been more wrong.

These forecasts rely on trends continuing. The slightest change on the other side of the world, can lead to completely different results.

/ Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service #4  
The problem is, forecasting weather for more than about 48 hours, is simply computer aided guessing.

Last year, NOAA long term projections for my area could not possibly have been more wrong.

These forecasts rely on trends continuing. The slightest change on the other side of the world, can lead to completely different results.

I could not agree more. The maps are entertaining, but I wouldn't bet my last dollar on them. They have very big areas showing "EB" for future forecasts. "EB" means essentially that it is anybody's guess; you are guaranteed to have some kind of weather.:D

Sixdogs: I love NOAA for just the same reasons you stated. All the other weather stations get info from them anyhow. You might as well go to the source.

/ Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service #5  
Economists were created to make weathermen look good.:)

Steve

/ Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service #6  
The long range forecast I read ( a month or so back) pretty much contradicted the NWS maps.
Can't recall who made the forecasts, unfortunately...but I do remember the midwest and southeast (to the mid-atlantic area) were supposed to be colder then normal and higher precipitation.

/ Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service #7  
This is just the opposite of Farmers Almanac.

Wedge

/ Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service #8  
I like NOAA site - all the information without all the annoying ads.

NOAA does have an awful lot of stuff available with no ads. But, we did already pay for it through our taxes so its not like you're getting something for nothing.

Keith

/ Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service
   / Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service #10  
NOAA is my daily go to site to check the weather and get an idea of what to expect. It's not overly accurate, but the best that I've found so far. I cant even remember how many times it's had rain in the forecast at over 80% and nothing happening. I work outdoors a lot of the time and if I see that it's 80% or greater chance of rain, I adjust my schedule.

Weather Channel has the best real time radar app for my phone that I've found.

One of my local TV Stations has the very best radar that I watch on my computer.

I'll never understand why I have to go to three different sources to get what I want, instead of one that does it all.

Eddie