Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Default Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service

For those of us that care about the weather, I stumbled across this great forecasting site that looks one to 10 months out in both rainfall and temps. It's from the National Weather Service and is a little confusing (go figure) at first. If correct, and it has been for me the past year, the upper midwest --and much of the US---is in for a warm fall, winter and spring. I think I'm OK with that.

Climate Prediction Center - Seasonal Color Maps

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    L3240GST, B2320HST, B5100D & G5200H

Default Re: Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service

Interesting - thanks for posting.
    I like NOAA site - all the information without all the annoying ads.
    "All we want are the facts." - Joe Friday
    That's the problem with trouble.
    It always starts out as such fun."
    - Randall Brown

Elite Member
    Tractor
    GC2310,

Default Re: Found great longer term weather forecasting site--Nat'l Weather Service

The problem is, forecasting weather for more than about 48 hours, is simply computer aided guessing.

Last year, NOAA long term projections for my area could not possibly have been more wrong.

These forecasts rely on trends continuing. The slightest change on the other side of the world, can lead to completely different results.

Tractor
    NHTC45D, NH LB75B, Ford Jubilee

Quote Originally Posted by ray66v View Post
    The problem is, forecasting weather for more than about 48 hours, is simply computer aided guessing.

Last year, NOAA long term projections for my area could not possibly have been more wrong.

These forecasts rely on trends continuing. The slightest change on the other side of the world, can lead to completely different results.
    I could not agree more. The maps are entertaining, but I wouldn't bet my last dollar on them. They have very big areas showing "EB" for future forecasts. "EB" means essentially that it is anybody's guess; you are guaranteed to have some kind of weather.

Sixdogs: I love NOAA for just the same reasons you stated. All the other weather stations get info from them anyhow. You might as well go to the source.
    Jim

Tractor
    NH TN 55, Kubota RTV 900, Bad Boy Outlaw 61" ZTR

Economists were created to make weathermen look good.

Steve

Tractor
    John Deere 4400 MFWD, Deere 855D UTV and assorted implements

The long range forecast I read ( a month or so back) pretty much contradicted the NWS maps.
    Can't recall who made the forecasts, unfortunately...but I do remember the midwest and southeast (to the mid-atlantic area) were supposed to be colder then normal and higher precipitation.
    Roy Jackson

"Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one."
    -Joseph P. Martino

This is just the opposite of Farmers Almanac.

Wedge
    1967 Ford 4000, Box blade, straight blade, FEL, Rake, Bushhog, Backhoe, Jinma chipper, KKII tiller, Grapple.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by Baby Grand View Post
    I like NOAA site - all the information without all the annoying ads.
    NOAA does have an awful lot of stuff available with no ads. But, we did already pay for it through our taxes so its not like you're getting something for nothing.

Keith

Tractor
    JD 5520, 790 TLB-- Kub L4300, B7800, MX5100

Quote Originally Posted by wedge40 View Post
    This is just the opposite of Farmers Almanac.

Wedge
    What is the Farmer's Almanac outlook for winter?

May I be the kind of person my dogs think I am,

Tractor
    Several, all used and abused.

NOAA is my daily go to site to check the weather and get an idea of what to expect. It's not overly accurate, but the best that I've found so far. I cant even remember how many times it's had rain in the forecast at over 80% and nothing happening. I work outdoors a lot of the time and if I see that it's 80% or greater chance of rain, I adjust my schedule.

Weather Channel has the best real time radar app for my phone that I've found.

One of my local TV Stations has the very best radar that I watch on my computer.

I'll never understand why I have to go to three different sources to get what I want, instead of one that does it all.

Eddie

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast