Ideas for a Bullet Trap

/ Ideas for a Bullet Trap #1  

Scotty Dive

Veteran Member
Tractor
Yanmar 2020D
I am getting tired of using ply wood up against a tree. What do you use? I mostly shoot a 22 so please keep that in mind with your suggestions. I see cabellas has something simple for about $50 bucks: Cabela's: Do-All Bullet Box

Appreciate your ideas.

/ Ideas for a Bullet Trap #2  
I just scooped up a big pile of dirt with my front end loader. Works for all the calibers I load.

/ Ideas for a Bullet Trap #3  
Stack of old tires with rubber mat in the center hole.

/ Ideas for a Bullet Trap #4  
got any local welding fab shops close by? hunk of 1/4" steel plate would work for 22 without much issue.

was going to make one out of flat bar stock w round bar across top like a set of lovers. lovers would rock when hit opening up and deflecting bullet down into earth berm. BUT my new place has a nice ravine so ready made 20' high berm ;)

Mark

/ Ideas for a Bullet Trap #5  
Logs or stumps always worked well in the country. You could notch logs for a good tight corner with a chainsaw,and it wouldn't be an eyesore. you could double wall them if you think the gaps are not tight enough. Depending on where ya are shooting, I think a single stack would dampen a lot of velocity and energy,but I don;t know your circumstances. A three sided log box 4' high may be enoughand would addup to much except a few hours work.

/ Ideas for a Bullet Trap #6  
I once shot at a small indoor range that had a sheet of steel on a 45 degree angle that richochet the bullets downward into a sandbox. They screened the sand and recovered the lead.

/ Ideas for a Bullet Trap #7  
I use the frame from a real estate sign and tape cardboard to it.

Beware if shooting straight into metal, fragments can bounce back (up to 25 yards for lead bullets?) If the metal gets pock marked, it can be more risky. Angling the metal so that hits deflect down is good.

/ Ideas for a Bullet Trap #8  
If you can buy one for $50, why are you even thinking about making one?

If a shot ever escapes the ready-made one and injures someone else, the seller is a nice set of deep pockets that will share liability. If you make your own, you are on your own for liability, and the most you can save is $50. I suspect that by the time you get done with building it, it will cost more than $50.

/ Ideas for a Bullet Trap
I agree. Not looking to build my own per se, just wondering if folks no of a better mouse trap. My current situation is putting a Lot of lead into a tree plus I would like to capture the lead due an adjacent stream

/ Ideas for a Bullet Trap #10  
I agree. Not looking to build my own per se, just wondering if folks no of a better mouse trap. My current situation is putting a Lot of lead into a tree plus I would like to capture the lead due an adjacent stream

I don't think plain lead is a problem, it's pretty inert. Lead issues are typically lead compounds like lead styphnate.