In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car

/ In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car #1  

hunterridgefarm

Veteran Member
Tractor
Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277
My wife and I found some old papers in my FIL home place, he never got rid of anything, and have recently started looking over them. We found a sales receipt when my wife's grandfather purchased a 1935 Coup and a receipt for 2 bay mule mares. It seems the 2 mares cost more than the car. The 7 year old car was $175 and the 2 mules were $200. I made a copy and attached.

Of course things have not changed much today. I bought a Trans Mule and 2 of thoses would cost more than a used car today:laughing:

We have found an old Fire Insurance Policy for the barns, house, tenant house, and other buildings dated 1898. It cost $6.00 for $600.00 worth of coverage. The Co-Op in still in existance today and I called them to get the history. The co-op started in 1896 and the oldest policy they have found is dated 1927. Of course they wanted to buy it but we have not discussed nor have we decided on selling it. We did offer them a copy.

But the most interesting things found are a hugh stack of old deeds. Most are dated in the early to late 1800's. But one is dated in the 1700's and talks of payment in shillings. At that time we were still using the British currency and this was before our Independence. All the deeds are in good condition with the 1700's one being the roughest, one corner is missing. All the deeds are written in heavy cursive and hard to read the spelling. They use a lot of the old english language and it appears a ink quill was used.

They were preserved in a cedar box and currently that is where we are keeping them. We are going to research way to preserve them but would like to display in frames. The only problem with that is light is not a friend to old documents.

We are looking at having copies made but need to do a little more research before. I will post a copy of the one for 17**, don't remember the exact date if we ever get a copy made.

We love old stuff especially if it deals with old history and family. We also found discharge papers from the Civil War.

Attachments

• 1930 Coach.pdf
    33.4 KB · Views: 304
  • 1939 Bay Mules.pdf
    51.8 KB · Views: 294
   / In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car #2  
Cool.

Really cool.

The history to me, is priceless.

You might also consider donations to museums. Or sales. They would offer the specialty care needed, as well as perhaps coming to an agreement on how your affiliated with it.

/ In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car #3  
Cedar was good to keep the bugs away, but not good otherwise for archive preservation.

/ In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car #4  
Hunterridgefarm,

Great thread. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Looking forward o seeing more pcs of the treasures you find.

/ In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car #5  
   / In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car #6  
It seems to have a fine job in the OP's case though.

True, it served its purpose given the resources available at the time. But that doesn't mean he should continue down that path with what is known now.

/ In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car #7  
True, it served its purpose given the resources available at the time. But that doesn't mean he should continue down that path with what is known now.
My instincts are saying "if it ain't broke..." but my brain is telling me you're right.

/ In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car
Cool.

Really cool.

The history to me, is priceless.

You might also consider donations to museums. Or sales. They would offer the specialty care needed, as well as perhaps coming to an agreement on how your affiliated with it.

We have discussed the museums. It seems every town or county has a history museum. We have been able to tie some of the names on the deeds to family and are still loooking at others.

/ In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car
Cedar was good to keep the bugs away, but not good otherwise for archive preservation.

I agree, however currently this is the best we have. It is out of the light, dry, and bug free. We are researching for the best way to preserve.

/ In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car #10  
If I were you I'd keep the documents if they were personally related to you, but if a museum offered me something I won't say I wouldn't be tempted! :laughing: