Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Tractor
    Kubota L3130DT, Kubota L185DT, JD LX277

Default In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car

My wife and I found some old papers in my FIL home place, he never got rid of anything, and have recently started looking over them. We found a sales receipt when my wife's grandfather purchased a 1935 Coup and a receipt for 2 bay mule mares. It seems the 2 mares cost more than the car. The 7 year old car was $175 and the 2 mules were $200. I made a copy and attached.

Of course things have not changed much today. I bought a Trans Mule and 2 of thoses would cost more than a used car today

We have found an old Fire Insurance Policy for the barns, house, tenant house, and other buildings dated 1898. It cost $6.00 for $600.00 worth of coverage. The Co-Op in still in existance today and I called them to get the history. The co-op started in 1896 and the oldest policy they have found is dated 1927. Of course they wanted to buy it but we have not discussed nor have we decided on selling it. We did offer them a copy.

But the most interesting things found are a hugh stack of old deeds. Most are dated in the early to late 1800's. But one is dated in the 1700's and talks of payment in shillings. At that time we were still using the British currency and this was before our Independence. All the deeds are in good condition with the 1700's one being the roughest, one corner is missing. All the deeds are written in heavy cursive and hard to read the spelling. They use a lot of the old english language and it appears a ink quill was used.

They were preserved in a cedar box and currently that is where we are keeping them. We are going to research way to preserve them but would like to display in frames. The only problem with that is light is not a friend to old documents.

We are looking at having copies made but need to do a little more research before. I will post a copy of the one for 17**, don't remember the exact date if we ever get a copy made.

We love old stuff especially if it deals with old history and family. We also found discharge papers from the Civil War.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    I suffer from MPD...Multiple Project Disorder

Tractor
    Kubota's, John Deere's

Default Re: In the 1930's 2 Five year old Mules cost more than a 7 year old Car

Cool.

Really cool.

The history to me, is priceless.

You might also consider donations to museums. Or sales. They would offer the specialty care needed, as well as perhaps coming to an agreement on how your affiliated with it.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

Cedar was good to keep the bugs away, but not good otherwise for archive preservation.

Texas -from the brush and pear to the piney woods
    Tractor
    110 TLB

Hunterridgefarm,

Great thread. Thanks for sharing this with us.

Looking forward o seeing more pcs of the treasures you find.

Tractor
    I did have a pedal John Deere once...

Quote Originally Posted by greasemonkeyok View Post
    Cedar was good to keep the bugs away, but not good otherwise for archive preservation.
    It seems to have a fine job in the OP's case though.
    "The darkest time is just one hour before dawn" - Johnny Cash.

Elite Member
    Tractor
    JD cut

Quote Originally Posted by jmurray01 View Post
    It seems to have a fine job in the OP's case though.
    True, it served its purpose given the resources available at the time. But that doesn't mean he should continue down that path with what is known now.

Tractor

True, it served its purpose given the resources available at the time. But that doesn't mean he should continue down that path with what is known now.
    My instincts are saying "if it ain't broke..." but my brain is telling me you're right.

Tractor

Quote Originally Posted by riptides View Post
    Cool.

Really cool.

The history to me, is priceless.

You might also consider donations to museums. Or sales. They would offer the specialty care needed, as well as perhaps coming to an agreement on how your affiliated with it.

We have discussed the museums. It seems every town or county has a history museum. We have been able to tie some of the names on the deeds to family and are still loooking at others.

Tractor

I agree, however currently this is the best we have. It is out of the light, dry, and bug free. We are researching for the best way to preserve.

Tractor

If I were you I'd keep the documents if they were personally related to you, but if a museum offered me something I won't say I wouldn't be tempted!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast