Home/Self Defense Ammo

/ Home/Self Defense Ammo #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
Need some advice here. Just bought a 12-ga pump shotgun with 18-1/2" barrel that will mainly be for home defense. May also be used to defend acorn trees from insane squirrels and so on. But mainly will sit in a corner for home defense.

I need a very low recoil shell so my wife can handle the weapon. Any suggestions? I know Federal and Remington both make low recoil ammo. What I need is real world experienced suggestions from somebody who has shot these. I really don't want to purchase several boxes to try out.

Also intend to buy a 380 for concealed carry. Any suggestions on ammo for it. I am leaning toward the Glaser Safety Slugs if I can find any because I am concerned about over penetration in a target, or missing and going thru a wall and hitting an unintended victim. Any other ammo suggestions?

/ Home/Self Defense Ammo #2  
1 oz. trap (target) loads. You might also take the barrel to a machine shop and have them drill some ports in the end. Ported barrels reduce recoil because exhaust gasses add substantially to recoil. However, that will make it a lot louder. There's a joke at the range that ported barrels don't really reduce recoil, they just spread it around to your friends. :) Short barrels are loud enough, a ported short barrel would be thunderous. Be sure to wear hearing protection, or you will end up so deaf you will never hear an intruder.

/ Home/Self Defense Ammo #4  
Also intend to buy a 380 for concealed carry. Any suggestions on ammo for it. I am leaning toward the Glaser Safety Slugs if I can find any because I am concerned about over penetration in a target, or missing and going thru a wall and hitting an unintended victim. Any other ammo suggestions?

For a .380, I use and recommend Hornady Critical Defense...especially for a semi-auto handgun.
This ammo feeds quite nicely...best I've seen for a hollowpoint cartridge. Hollowpoint rounds can be problematic in feeding...depends on how wide the "mouth" of the bullet.

As far as the low recoil 12 gage ammo...you really need to try some different brands. Recoil is subjective...what I consider "low recoil" might knock your wife on her butt (or vice versa).

Last edited:
   / Home/Self Defense Ammo #5  
Need some advice here. Just bought a 12-ga pump shotgun with 18-1/2" barrel that will mainly be for home defense. May also be used to defend acorn trees from insane squirrels and so on. But mainly will sit in a corner for home defense.

I need a very low recoil shell so my wife can handle the weapon. Any suggestions? I know Federal and Remington both make low recoil ammo. What I need is real world experienced suggestions from somebody who has shot these. I really don't want to purchase several boxes to try out.

For low recoil, start with a new stock. I put a dual spring-loaded recoil-reduction adjustable stock with a 5/8 inch rubber pad on the butt of my Remington 870. It shoots like a .410 now!

Follow this link to Brownells web site.

SpecOps II Recoil Reducing Adjustable Stock | Brownells

/ Home/Self Defense Ammo #6  
Glaser Safety Slugs have a poor reputation for effectiveness. High cost, low value.

If you are going to use a .380 for self defense, don't waste your money on fancy JHP ammo. Stick with FMJ for .380. If JHP expands (questionable), it will not penetrate deep enough to be effective. (See the FBI Quantico Report on Wounding Ballistics).

As for penetrating a wall, most JHPs plug up going through wall board and do not expand. Look at Winchester's site and see what their .380 Ranger ammo does when it goes through wallboard
http://www.winchester.com/SiteCollectionDocuments/flash-SWFs/law_bullit.swf
It acts like a FMJ when it hits wallboard.

/ Home/Self Defense Ammo #7  
I like the Silver tip Hydro-shocks, that is what I carried on duty in my .45. Don't know if they are available to the public, but assume they are. Also don't know if they even carry them for a .380

As far as ammo for Home/ self defense, I would use what was effective, recoil or not. When SHTF, you wont notice the recoil.

/ Home/Self Defense Ammo #8  
A company named Classic Shotshell Company (RST Ltd) at Classic Shotshell Co. Inc., RST (phone number 570-553-1651) makes shotshells for shooters seeking low pressure, high performance, with REDUCED RECOIL. This company is well worth taking a look at.

/ Home/Self Defense Ammo #9  
For low recoil, start with a new stock. I put a dual spring-loaded recoil-reduction adjustable stock with a 5/8 inch rubber pad on the butt of my Remington 870. It shoots like a .410 now!

Follow this link to Brownells web site.

SpecOps II Recoil Reducing Adjustable Stock | Brownells

Good advice. A pump shotgun can rattle your teeth even with a light load. If nothing else, take the wife and the shotgun to a gunsmith, have it fitted to her and the stock shortened (if that's what is required) and a Pachmeyer White Line recoil pad added. A properly fitted stock and a recoil pad will make a tremendous difference. The stock on an out-of-the-box shotgun will more than likely be too long for a lady and some men, and besides being awkward, has a tendency to crawl down the shoulder on to the arm, especially when you are in a hurry. I recall seeing a fellow (me) whose arm was blue from the elbow to the collar bone after a day of shooting a Model 12 that had not been properly fitted.

/ Home/Self Defense Ammo #10  
Well my thought is if your wife can't handle the normal recoil of a 12ga pump she is never going to be able to cycle the action so it does not matter. trade it for a 20ga auto with half the recoil.

My experience is that most low end 380s will not reliably cycle most hollow point ammo and need FMJ. I use FMJ in my 380s.