Hunkered down for Sandy?

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #21  
1,400 miles from the center of that hurricane,,,,does that give you any idea how big and powerful this storm is...? Yikes.

what is really wild is they are predicting up to 25 foot waves on the Great Lakes. Edmund Fitzgerald all over again. Double yikes.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #22  
Haven't lost power (yet) and not even a branch off a tree.
I'm a bit surprised, actually.
Night ain't over though, knock on wood!

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #23  
Well the chain saw is ready and running this last weekend, The 4x4 pickup is full of gas and ready to go, The tractor awaits with better then half a tank of fuel. (I know full would be better but...)and the generator is positioned outside the basement and has been test run. It is just beginning to blow here.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #24  
Nothing with power yet. Yet. I don't own a generator as I'm in an apartment. :(

I moved everything I could to my large freezer, once power goes out I won't open it until power comes back hoping it holds for a few days. Going to take a shower in a bit and then fill the tub with water, I have 15 gallons of drinking water plus bottled. I live alone so that's all for me. Hoping that my landlord was correct when he said he should be able to power the well pump as well as the furnace.

If not, I will move to my office as it's a mission critical .gov building with generator backup.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #25  
Made a last minute run to the village so SWMBO could get a couple of copies of the checklist run off so she could run the election without power if needed. Scored some more gas for the generator etc. while down there plus some T-bones for dinner and some sausage for breakfast. Just listening to the wind moan and the rain fall now.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #26  
Don't forget you can tap your hot water heater for water if you need it. There is a lot of water in most water heaters. Make sure you turn off the circuit breaker first. You don't want the power to come back on and not have water in the water heater.

Good Luck,
Dan

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #27  
Our power went out an hour or so ago. Bad news is that folks in town a couple of miles away still have power. Which means that it is just our lonely branch feeder - not a high priority on the repair list.
So, my bride and I sit by candle light and listen to the wind howl and the trees crash earthward. And the worst has not yet arrived. At least we'll have plenty of firewood...

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #28  
Our power went out an hour or so ago. Bad news is that folks in town a couple of miles away still have power. Which means that it is just our lonely branch feeder - not a high priority on the repair list.
So, my bride and I sit by candle light and listen to the wind howl and the trees crash earthward. And the worst has not yet arrived. At least we'll have plenty of firewood...
From a redneck point of view that sounds like it might be a romantic evening. Build up the fire and let her know come what may You will take care of it and let the snuggling begin.:)

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #29  
Just down the road from me reported over 8" of rain today. The monocacy river is supposed to reach 32', 15' is flood stage. power still on, but keeps flickering. strong winds.