Hunkered down for Sandy?

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #31  
Our power went out an hour or so ago. Bad news is that folks in town a couple of miles away still have power. Which means that it is just our lonely branch feeder - not a high priority on the repair list.
So, my bride and I sit by candle light and listen to the wind howl and the trees crash earthward. And the worst has not yet arrived. At least we'll have plenty of firewood...

Your a newlywed sitting by a candle and no power with your bride and your on the Internet surfing tractorbynet? I don't even do that with my girlfriend of 9 years. No offense buddy but maybe that isn't such a good and healthy thing

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #32  
Given his sensitive description of the situation, I think he's doing fine and not needing help from us about how to spend his time:cool2:

I wish Mike and his bride all the best.

Our power went out an hour or so ago. Bad news is that folks in town a couple of miles away still have power. Which means that it is just our lonely branch feeder - not a high priority on the repair list.
So, my bride and I sit by candle light and listen to the wind howl and the trees crash earthward. And the worst has not yet arrived. At least we'll have plenty of firewood...

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #33  
Given his sensitive description of the situation, I think he's doing fine and not needing help from us about how to spend his time:cool2:

nicely said. Power out all night, generator roaring away (aircooled Generacs are not quiet...) and cable went down so no tv or internet. Laptop with aircard earns its keep. Have two houses of friends out of town to go check on, and run their small gens for a little while. Not thrilled with going down into dark basements with possible water down there, and throwing electrical breakers, but will be careful.
Sun will be up in an hour or so here and I think there's going to be a serious mess out there, but I'm sure others are much worse. Stay safe.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #34  
save your fuel....gonna be long time getting power back, millions without power now reported. Stay safe...water is bad news...many ways...keep updating us...we care

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #35  
Oddly I still have power. Shortly leaving to work, just wash a couple of dishes and I'm gone.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #36  
The wife called at 4:30 this morning from Newport News, Va. She's there with our son and daughter-in-law for the birth of our first grandchild, and they had just left for the hospital. They had a rough night of winds but they have power and water, thankfully. I wonder if they'll name her Sandy?:rolleyes:

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #37  
Heard on the news there was a fire in NY and because of high winds 50+ houses were lost so we're counting our blessings.

50 mile an hour wind gusts are possible here in Ohio today. I hear the wind outside howling now. Picked up a 15KW PTO driven generator yesterday and have diesel in the 275 gallon storage tank. The New Holland is now hooked up and in stand-by mode.

The guy that loaded the generator in my truck with a forklift said that in the past 2 days he has assembled more generators than in the past year. :eek:

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #38  

;)Just because he didn't ask for or need any advice doesn't mean he won't get some free of charge. After all this is TBN.
Stay safe everybody. Looks like the biggest danger is downed wires that are still hot.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #39  
From Northern Virginia-
Once again my HD $600 generator pulled thru without being run.

We got medium winds, < 60MPH for gusts, moderate rain ~ 1.5" and NO POLLSTERS!!

Although I've got a neighbors tree that constantly threatens to drop limbs about 2' in diameter nothing fell.

I will now have to go look for an excuse to run my 120cc Stihl 088.

Better to have prepared and go un-needed.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy?
The wife called at 4:30 this morning from Newport News, Va. She's there with our son and daughter-in-law for the birth of our first grandchild, and they had just left for the hospital. They had a rough night of winds but they have power and water, thankfully. I wonder if they'll name her Sandy?:rolleyes:

We're right beside NN, about five miles from Mary Immaculate hospital, where our son was born earlier this year. This area really didn't get much, and it was absolutely nothing compared to what I'm seeing coming out of NJ/NY/etc. I was shocked at how few power outages we had. I think we've had bigger power outages from events like squirrels/car accidents/etc. I figure the Derecho storm blew down all the weak stuff a few months ago and there hasn't been ample time to repopulate the power-killing tree/branch population. There was flooding, but around here 15-20 ft above sea level is considered high ground. A strong high tide, with no storm involved, can cause flooding of the low areas.

Keith