Hunkered down for Sandy?

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #1  

KTurner

Gold Member
We're in SE VA, not right on the coast, but pretty close to the mouth of the bay. We started feeling the outer reaches of the storm about 24 hours ago. Since then, we've had about 3" of rain and gusts are consistently up around 30mph. As of now, the center of the storm is still well over 400 miles away and moving this way at the leisurely pace of 15mph. Power outages already creeping into the area. All sorts of schools/colleges/gov offices/etc already closed for tomorrow. 263 according to one local news channel.

I guess the silver lining is, we'll get a break from being inundated with election fliers/mailers/phonecalls/tvcommercials/etc.

Keith

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #2  
I guess the silver lining is, we'll get a break from being inundated with election fliers/mailers/phonecalls/tvcommercials/etc.

Keith

Yeah, that will be a welcome relief...I reckon most folks know who they're going to vote for by now.

Looking at the latest satellite view of the storm, it does look like it's heading right up the Chesapeake. Be safe!! and Good Luck!

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #3  

Keith

Good Evenin Keith,
That is with out a doubt the very best part !!! ;):)

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #4  
Be safe Keith, you and yours. Assuming your prepared for the worst. Take care.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #5  
Im in calvert county, Md about 5 miles from water in each way. There was whitecaps at about 2 o clock this afternoon. Just going to wait it out. Just finished a tune up on the 029, getting ready for this!

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #6  
I'm 12 miles due south of the Washington Monuement. As of now, about 2130 Sunday, it hasn't rained enough to wash in the lime I spread Saturday.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #8  
I was surprised to hear this weekend that the US Navy was not getting all the ships underway in the Hampton Roads/Norfolk area. I wonder if they still think that was a wise decision this morning? Stay safe everyone. Flash floods may be the worst part of this storm for Chesapeake Bay and the Outer Banks.

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #9  
the latest model forecast is sandy will hit here directly over us as a tropical depression low wednesday morning. This reminds me - gotta go get gas for the generator today. I was out all weekend cutting firewood. At least it wont be as bad as cat 1 on ocean shoreline...

/ Hunkered down for Sandy? #10  
water/fill bath tubs, fuel/full vehicles, pick up things that would blow around, generator running, cords to reach freezer/fridge, be prepared out there. Being without power, water, fuel, communications...it's a new world...hope everybody is safe...get all your meds restocked now. You can never be too prepared. If you are just waiting for it to hit, you don't appreciate what can happen and are wasting time when you could be preparing.