Big Footsteps to Fill

/ Big Footsteps to Fill #1  

JESSE1

Veteran Member
Tractor
JD 6400
Back in August I had to put down our nearly eleven year old German Shepherd male due to liver failure. Beautiful black and tan, gentle, bold and funny, Billy was an exceptional friend. We've had German Shepherds since my parents bought our first male in the '50's. We still had two wonderful boys, Thomas and Taylor but I wanted to go ahead and get another puppy. The breeder I use had a litter born in late August and I picked up Matthew last week at nine weeks old. Both parents have their championships and have been OFA certified on hips and elbows. I'll be showing Matthew in conformation classes next year and he will be started in obedience. IMG_0985.JPGIMG_2052.JPGIMG_0699.JPGIMG_0006.JPG

/ Big Footsteps to Fill #2  
My wife and I are GSD fans; I have been around them since I was a kid years ago.

Isn't the lady that has the Rin Tin Tin breeding lines there in Texas?

/ Big Footsteps to Fill #3  
Sincere condolences in regards to the passing of "Billy". Beautiful dogs. Thanks for posting.

/ Big Footsteps to Fill #4  
Beautiful dogs. A handsome bunch on the bed. I'v loaded up on rescue mutts but always have liked GSDs.

/ Big Footsteps to Fill
My wife and I are GSD fans; I have been around them since I was a kid years ago.

Isn't the lady that has the Rin Tin Tin breeding lines there in Texas?

I believe she is in Texas. I read the Rin Tin Tin book, very interesting how many dogs there were.

/ Big Footsteps to Fill
German Shepherds are a very special breed. They are a family dog; you are their pack. They usually don't take kindly to strangers but respond well to anyone they were raised up with. Super smart. I have kennels on the patio to keep the dogs in when service people have to come and work on the house, otherwise the dogs stay primarily in the house.

/ Big Footsteps to Fill #7  
I read that book too. I found the original Braveheart interesting too; big GSD... Also interesting that Rin Tin Tin 1 was silver/black.

I believe she is in Texas. I read the Rin Tin Tin book, very interesting how many dogs there were.

/ Big Footsteps to Fill #9  
Nice dogs. Sorry you lost Billy, puppy breath is the cure for that sadness.

Was there a known cause behind the liver failure?

/ Big Footsteps to Fill
Liver failure is common for older dogs. Usually it's going to be either liver or kidney failure that will kill them. We did blood tests early in the summer and it showed elevated enzyme levels that we started treating. At the end he stopped eating and his gums turned brown. At that point I wasn't going to let him suffer. He was 10 years 8 months old, too young. We had hoped he would last to at least 12yrs.