Texas hunting season begins

/ Texas hunting season begins #13  
   / Texas hunting season begins #14  
I managed to bag a decent one on the evening of the 3rd. He came in by himself pretty early.

All my hunting partners on my lease are avid big game hunters. We all schedule some pretty good hunts throughout the year (Africa, Alaska, Idaho, Colorado, Texas exotics etc.). I just came back from hunting in Ireland myself.

We usually share the meat (when someone's hunted domestically) when we're at the deer camp each year. Last year, we ate a lot of nilgai, eland and desert bighorn sheep. This past weekend, we had moose, elk and caribou.

I've been told by a number of people that some of the best meat you will ever have is asian water buffalo. I was fortunate to have the opportunity to hunt for them in central Texas the other month. Unfortunately, we saw them but never had any good shots at them. However, the landowner wants us to come back and try again after the end of deer season. I think we have a better gameplan for our next trip and will probably get one. They weigh between 2000 lbs and 2500 lbs. That'll be a lot of meat!!!

2012 opener buck 1.jpg

/ Texas hunting season begins #18  
What did you hunt in Ireland? Red Stag? Fallow?

Red stag, sika were my primary quarry. I didn't have any luck on the red stag hunting up in the Donegal area, but did shoot a mountain ram that would score gold and a 4-horned sheep. I did get a red stag/sika hybrid and an old sika stag in the Wicklow mountains.

/ Texas hunting season begins #19  
Great buck, but I'm really wanting to see some Water Buffalo!!! LOL

Eddie

/ Texas hunting season begins #20  
I'm making sure you and I have that oppurtunity bud! Remember, you'll need to shoot quick and shoot often!