Texas hunting season begins

/ Texas hunting season begins #21  
Beautiful buck. NC's gun season opens saturday. We don't have axis here but they sure sound good. It always seems that those who don't like venison tasted some that wasn't handled or cooked properly.

/ Texas hunting season begins #22  
Beautiful buck. NC's gun season opens saturday. We don't have axis here but they sure sound good. It always seems that those who don't like venison tasted some that wasn't handled or cooked properly.

The dressing in the field and the transportation of the meat for processing is the single most important thing you can do to maintain the quality of your venison. You've got more money tied up in that venison than all the Rib-eyes you ever bought. It makes me nuts to see the way some people handle their game for the trip home.

Charlie

/ Texas hunting season begins #23  
How does the deer season go down there in Texas?
Here in New Hampshire we start out with Bow season, then black powder and finally riffle and shotgun season. Depend on the zone you are hunting in if you can use a riffle or have to sue shotgun. We are in black powder season right now.

/ Texas hunting season begins #24  
I'm one of those who do not care for the taste of deer meat. I've shot whitetails, blacktails and mule deer. Whitetail is by far the best tasting of the three, but it still requires seasoning to make it taste any good. I've also shot other specials of big game and found most of them to be much better tasting. Some are so good that you can just put the meat on the grill as is and enjoy it. Since I'm able to prepare those animals without any problems, it would make sense to me that's not the problem with the deer meat that I prepare.

Just to clarify, on some hunts, others cleaned the animals. In Africa, it was all done by the natives. On the guided hunts that I've been on, I help my guide, and have learned from their experience. I will admit that what I learned hunting at home with the neighbors didn't teach me very much, but over the years, and different areas of the world, I've become fairly competent at it.

Eddie

/ Texas hunting season begins
We have an Archery season, then an early youth only season, then on to the general season. We have a late youth season also.

There are programs here that vary with county and landowner also, Like MLD, basically MLD is a state management program a landowner has to comply with, the landowner gets recommendations from state biologist, harvest goals and some leeway on buck harvest. I'm am not in the MLD program, therefore in my county, I can only shoot 1 buck with an inside spread of 13" or greater and 1 more buck with one branched and one spiked antler.

Took a "cull" yesterday evening, not a wall hanger, but a nice deer with a poor 6pnt 16" rack. Donating the meat to a couple, the woman works for my wife. They love deer meat and he starts Chemo today, so we where thinking they may want some extra meat since Chemo isn't usually cheap.

1113120752.jpg

/ Texas hunting season begins #27  
Congratulations Dennis!!! Nice of you to donate the meat.

I haven't seen a deer yet. Not even on my game camera since the acorns started to drop. The hogs are still eating the corn, but not every day,and not anywhere near daylight hours. I don't know if shooting them and driving them away will bring back the deer to the corn, or if I just have to wait for the acorns to sour. The rain on Sunday might help with that, and today it finally cooled off to the 30's, so that should help.

How many deer can you shoot in your area?

Eddie

Thanks Eddie,
The deer at my place are only hitting the protein, which is OK, since the price is comparable to the cost of corn now. You are dead on about the acorns too, along with the forage from the decent rains this year. Deer are using my limited oats pretty hard also.

I also almost strictly manage my property with deer in mind, I dont understand why you dont see more than you do, hogs may be some of the reason, but not all of it. Been awhile since I was at your place, but it looked very promising on the walk we took around your place. Only thing I can remember is the pine forest didn't have the under growth density, but we just scratched the surface of the place and you where in the midst of some dirt work.

/ Texas hunting season begins #29  
image-2918970750.jpg

Here's one I got while on a hunting trip near Fredricksburg.