Savage Axis or Ruger American

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #11  
Im a sucker for wood stocks, love my Tikka Hunter, they do make the Tikka T3 Lite in composit.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #12  
good advice around. Savage or Ruger both are great. In MHO the 243 is a little light for deer go with 7mm08 and you wont go wrong.

Probably so in Canada. Not sure where the OP lives, but the .260 I pointed him to would be a great youth rifle with no handicap when he grows up to an adult, Especially if he gets into handloading. The same could be said for the 7mm-08.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #13  
Probably so in Canada. Not sure where the OP lives, but the .260 I pointed him to would be a great youth rifle with no handicap when he grows up to an adult, Especially if he gets into handloading. The same could be said for the 7mm-08.
Reminds me of a couple of friends that were argueing about calibers,one shooting a 7mm/08 and the other saying it was too small,the second fellow had a .260(Which is a 6.5/08)!Can't go wrong with either.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #14  
Between the two brands, Ruger is by far the brand I would much rather own. I've looked at Savage a few times because of recomendations and the price, but have never bought one. I have several Ruger's and will buy another without hesitation. With firearms, you are buying something that will last for decades. Buying the best you can afford is always going to give you the most satisfaction. Even if it means waiting a few more months to get the better weapon.

Eddie

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #15  
I've got a Savage Axis in 30.06
Two things off the top of my head:
1.) Finding a scope to fit is a challenge due to the pre-drilled factory mounting location. Not sure if the .243 action is shorter in this rifle than 30.06, if it is the same, then many scopes won't fit.
2.) This rifle does NOT have the Savage AccuTrigger. The trigger isn't bad, but isn't good either.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American
I am still looking at all my options. I like the Savage due to the better accuracy (seems that most reviews are showing GREAT accuracy) but find a few short comings. The Rugar seems well built but the accuracy is a bit less from the reviews I have seen (and to be honest I had a .308 Ruger All Weather and I was not to fond of it, the gun just would not shoot.) I am now exploring some of the other options you all have mentioned.

I am looking for an inexpensive rifle due to the very light usage it will get. I thinking it will get used 2-3 times a year then just sit. I have a tuned and built Rock River Arms bull barrel rifle I use a lot (we can hunt with semi's here) and don't mind spending extra on top quality if I am planning to really use it. I personally am not a big deer hunter but figure my son wants to go and give it a try (he is 12) so I want to get something he can use and I can use if I want it for Coyotes if I don't want to take my RRA. If down the road he gets into it I will buy him a better rifle and just keep this one for when I want a light weight rifle, if he does not get into deer hunting, no problem at least he got a chance at it and we have something different to shoot from time to time.

My big hang up on rifles is accuracy, I can live with so so looks, decent finishes, and things like that but I demand sub MOA. I know in a deer rifle it is not as important and 1 MOA is plenty but after 4 years of shooting collegiate rifle it just kills me if a gun wont shoot. Heck I can even learn to live with a so so trigger if I can still pull a decent group.

Thanks for all the opinions and options, I am now looking at several other calibers. One thing is I doubt we will do any handloading. I used to do a LOT of handloading years ago but now between work, family and the property I just don't seem to have the time so I think we will be sticking with factory loads just for simplicity. That is one of the reasons I am leaning a little more toward the "standard" calibers (AKA the ones I can always find at Wal Mart if I need them).

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #17  
Have you checked out the "Appleseed Project for your son? I took my son last year. Awesome program. He was a good shot, but definitely improved a lot thru the two days. I would recomend it for both juniors and adults.

Project Appleseed Home

I personally am not a big deer hunter but figure my son wants to go and give it a try (he is 12) so I want to get something he can use and I can use if I want it for Coyotes if I don't want to take my RRA. If down the road he gets into it I will buy him a better rifle and just keep this one for when I want a light weight rifle, if he does not get into deer hunting, no problem at least he got a chance at it and we have something different to shoot from time to time.

My big hang up on rifles is accuracy

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #18  
Like the others I don't think you could go wrong with either of your choices. And I like your choice of caliber also. I bought one for my Wife a few years back for deer. She never killed one with it, but I did one morning:) It is a nice low recoil rifle (700 Remington with synthetic stock). Good luck deciding, I would have a hard time deciding between those two!

James K0UA

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American
Have you checked out the "Appleseed Project for your son? I took my son last year. Awesome program. He was a good shot, but definitely improved a lot thru the two days. I would recomend it for both juniors and adults.

Project Appleseed Home

Thank you- never heard of it before and it looks like a great program. I am going to see if they have anything in our area coming up!

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #20  
It was very good. Taught great shooting skills. And taught US history that is being forgotten. I participated the second day. We would like to go again.

Thank you- never heard of it before and it looks like a great program. I am going to see if they have anything in our area coming up!