Savage Axis or Ruger American

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #1  

Code54

Elite Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100, Kubota BX25D,1957 Farmall Cub Lo-Boy Kubota KX91-3, BCS 853
Looking for a little inexpensive .243 for my son to deer hunt with and these two looked pretty decent for the price. Far from fancy, but simple, light to carry and seem to have decent reviews. Anyone own one or want to chime in on any thoughts? I am pretty set on a .243 due to low recoil, available ammo, and will work on anything he wants to hunt from Coyotes to deer. Don't really need a 7mm Mag, or a .458 win mag around here as shots are short (under 200 yards for sure) and no elephants or wild African lions roaming the hills to be concerned with.
I like synthetic, love stainless (if available for a decent price), want something that shoots very well - don't really care about the name, fancy wood, anything like that. Thanks

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #2  
My daughter-in-law uses a .243 Savage for deer,the one thing we learned is to purchased premium ammo(Winchester with the Nosler Accubond bullet) does the trick on deer.Coyotes ,varmints you can use the standard ammo.We like Savages with the Accutrigger.For a little better gun with not much more recoil try a 7MM/08,excellent all around cartridge.I prefer synthetic stocks and stainless also.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #3  
My daughter-in-law uses a .243 Savage for deer,the one thing we learned is to purchased premium ammo(Winchester with the Nosler Accubond bullet) does the trick on deer.Coyotes ,varmints you can use the standard ammo.We like Savages with the Accutrigger.For a little better gun with not much more recoil try a 7MM/08,excellent all around cartridge.I prefer synthetic stocks and stainless also.

Ditto ! Premium bonded bullets for deer...Savage is a very good inexpensive out da box gun...also take a look at New England Arms single shots, they make great starter guns ! Ditto as well on the 7/08...

Rich

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #4  
Savage rifles have a great reputation for accuracy out of the box. I looked at the Axis model last year and decided against it because of the plastic magazine release spring. Looks to me like a reliability problem. I would look at the Stevens model 200 instead--same manufacturer.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #5  
Not to throw a kink in things, but if I were looking for rifle for my son like that, I would check used for a Savage-99 in 243... That is a fine, fine combination... 1.5-5 scope on top. That would be an excellent combination.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American
Thanks for all the ideas! Please feel free to keep them coming, I didn't realize there were so many different inexpensive rifle available!

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #8  
A Remington 7 in 243 or 7mm-08 would be sweet. And again, a nice compact variable in that 1.5-5x range.

I have always thought a Reminton 76xx series pump in 243 would be nice too.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #9  
good advice around. Savage or Ruger both are great. In MHO the 243 is a little light for deer go with 7mm08 and you wont go wrong.

/ Savage Axis or Ruger American #10  
I am liking the Ruger American, I heard they are working on other rounds, so the SA is soon to follow. I have not read anything bad on them and they are currently the rave in the in all the magizines.