Mouse and the Pickup

/ Mouse and the Pickup #1  

thcri

Elite Member
Tractor
New Holland TC29D, 2001
Well there may be more than one. Last night he she or they ate a whole bag of almonds. Shi* on the front seat. This pickup is a 2009 F150 King Ranch Crew. I have had it three winters now and never a sign of mice. Where on this truck it is possible for them to even get it. Where do I start. I have two traps in it tonight.

/ Mouse and the Pickup #2  
I'd put poison bait inside the pickup...safe from pets, etc...should hit the target animals...maybe get all at once...

/ Mouse and the Pickup #3  
I think that traps are the way to go. I would lend you a cat, but it is to far away, and she might do more damage than the mouse if locked in over night. :) But bait the trap with almond or peanut butter as you already know that that's what it likes. Also might only be one, as they will stash away the extras.

/ Mouse and the Pickup
texasjohn said:
I'd put poison bait inside the pickup...safe from pets, etc...should hit the target animals...maybe get all at once...

I am not sure i want to go the poison route. If he climbs up under the seat or dash he is going to stinking and I won't find him. Of course if there is little ones I am screwed also.

/ Mouse and the Pickup #5  
Sounds like rats to me. They will store food.
Most members have had success with the beer can, bucket trap. It has not worked for me. I think southern rodents are smarter. :eek:
They have a longer season and more predators.
I'm with you on the poison, only as a last resort.
I would go over the truck carefully and look for signs of residency, especially in the engine compartment.

Last edited:
   / Mouse and the Pickup #6  
I am not sure i want to go the poison route. If he climbs up under the seat or dash he is going to stinking and I won't find him. Of course if there is little ones I am screwed also.

Same problem here with my 2002 GMC diesel. I laid down a virtual killing field of traps last year. Kill count was up to 24 before we had to leave for a month. Been trying to get rid of that mouse poop smell ever since. No idea where that miserable little critters get in. Also have considered the poison route but have the same concerns of dead mouse odors.

So far no apparent structural damage, but that's always a possibility. My wood splitter was outside for a few months unused and covered by a tarp. Damned if they didn't chew a hole in the top of the hard plastic gas tank!

/ Mouse and the Pickup #7  
I would use traps in the vehicle and poison outside of the vehicle. Poison attracts them and generally you don't put poison where you don't want them, you put it out of the way and attract them away from the scene.

If you have them under your house, put the poison outside and see if you can control them and not under the house.

Check you air filter on your truck to see if they got in there by chance. I'm curious.

/ Mouse and the Pickup #8  
I like to put rasins on the traps as they can not lick it off like penut butter. I have used the engine shampoo to get rid of their scent as that is what they use for there trail. I would also check the cabin filter to see if they are in there.

/ Mouse and the Pickup #9  
We usually trap two to three mice in our Home each year. Our two outside cats keep the outside population in check. But we have had an explosion in mice populations this year. Nothing has changed in regards to hygiene habits. Trash is secure, no scraps toss out on ground.Last week, I trapped six small mice in two days under the sink and behind the refrigerator. I heard another one last night and just baited two more traps with peanut butter.

/ Mouse and the Pickup #10  
There can be multiple ways into the cab. There are holes to run wires and such from the engine compartment and there might be some on the back of the cab going to the bed on my truck.

I hate mice. The actually cut a wire on my tractor. Thankfully it was not an important wire and was easy to fix.

Mice have gotten into our attic and I use poison up there to rid of them. The only way they can get into the attic was to climb up the coax from Directv. I put some steel wool in that wee little hole they were using to access the attic. I put in the steel wool during the summer time. Figured the heat of summer would drive them out of the attic.

Later,
Dan