How to "store" logs prior to cutting

/ How to "store" logs prior to cutting #1  

Richard

Elite Member
Tractor
International 1066 Full sized JCB Loader/Backhoe and a John Deere 430 to mow with
How to \"store\" logs prior to cutting

Had a couple downed oaks this past winter. I cut most of them up and quite honestly, we have more firewood laying around than we might use over course of 2 years (given past usage patterns).

I dragged about 5 more oak trees to a clear spot up on hill, behind house and they are just laying on ground. I figure, they are easier to carry as logs, so I'll leave them there for a year and THEN cut them.

So, I have about 5 oak trees laying on ground like "pick up stix". Is that ok for them (I'd expect them to rot), or since I also have a couple 15/20 foot logs of cedar, should I put THEM on ground, and lay the oaks across them to get them off ground and allow air to circulate throughout them?

While I"m at it... is there any qualatative difference between cutting a standing dead oak tree for firewood, as compared to cutting a live one and letting it dry out for a year?

Richard

/ How to "store" logs prior to cutting #2  
Re: How to \"store\" logs prior to cutting

Richard...

<font color="blue">I have about 5 oak trees laying on ground like "pick up stix". Is that ok for them (I'd expect them to rot), or since I also have a couple 15/20 foot logs of cedar, should I put THEM on ground, and lay the oaks across them to get them off ground and allow air to circulate throughout them? </font>

Yes and Yes to your questions. We cut 6-7 cords of firewood from our hedgerows and woodlots each year. If I have too many logs that I can't use in any given season, I'll stack them uncut. Eventually, they will rot. But, they will rot even quicker if you cut them up into rounds and then let them sit. Cut rounds will last 2-3 years before they start to get punky. Logs may last 3-5 years (depends upon tree species) before the same starts to happen to them. If you can stack them, that should even be better.

<font color="blue"> While I'm at it... is there any qualitative difference between cutting a standing dead oak tree for firewood, as compared to cutting a live one and letting it dry out for a year? </font>

The standing dead oak is already seasoned. As long as it hasn't started to rot and become brittle with age, you can cut it, burn it immediately, and it should provide the same Btu generation as a seasoned oak. Seasoned oak though takes time to season (at least a good year). I would likely start with that dead oak if I was looking for some ready to burn firewood at the start of the burning season.

...Bob

/ How to "store" logs prior to cutting

ty for your replies. On the standing dead oak question, you answered what I suspected to be the case... I guess I HAVE learned some stuff hanging around this place /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif Dont tell the wifey though, I'll let her think I just know it all. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

/ How to "store" logs prior to cutting #4  

Richard,
Have you ever though of turning your logs into useable lumber?
I mill some with my Alaskan chainsaw mill. There are also a lot of folks around that have mobile saw mills that do custom cutting.

/ How to "store" logs prior to cutting #5  

So, I have about 5 oak trees laying on ground like "pick up stix". Is that ok for them (I'd expect them to rot), or since I also have a couple 15/20 foot logs of cedar, should I put THEM on ground, and lay the oaks across them to get them off ground and allow air to circulate throughout them?

I'd definetly lay down 2 or 3 skids to store your logs onto. The cedar will work or even some smaller stuff that has less value like small hemlock or poplar (aspen). If you need a reason to do this the added air circulation is a good one or the fact when it comes time to saw it it's a little higher off the ground. less chance for dulling your saw chain.

/ How to "store" logs prior to cutting #6  
Re: How to "store" logs prior to cutting

I would use the cedar to set the oak on -- sitting on the ground the logs will rot -- and I do not think it will take long. If they get wet and cannot dry , logs can rot in less than a year -- JMHI

/ How to "store" logs prior to cutting #7  

My vote is to stack off the ground. Air circulation is always good, also keeping the weeds down so the wind can blow thru it helps during the summer. Standing dead can be burned but watch out for the last 6-8' of trunk. Trees will still wick moisture even thoe they are dead. The trunk would still need to be split and allowded to season before burning. I heat with wood and cut mostly dead Elm so I have a little experience with dead trees.

Just my 2 cents take it for what its worth.

Beefie

/ How to "store" logs prior to cutting #8  

Richard,
Have you ever though of turning your logs into useable lumber?
I mill some with my Alaskan chainsaw mill. There are also a lot of folks around that have mobile saw mills that do custom cutting.
I don't know what they charge in your area, but in my area here in NC, people with mobile saw mills that do custom cutting advertise these prices. Fifty cents-$.50-board foot or $60.00 hourly rate. Just a thought.

/ How to "store" logs prior to cutting #9  

my experience with standing dead oak is that if the bark is on it is not seasoned and will be full of water. Better cut them down asap and split, bark is water proof so if the logs will rot until split to let the water evaporate . I agree that they should be off the ground that will help some. Only wood that has the water removed will not rot and the only way to do that is to either remove the bark or split.

/ How to "store" logs prior to cutting #10  

ty for your replies. On the standing dead oak question, you answered what I suspected to be the case
22.gif