Palmer sander backer pads--replacing?

/ Palmer sander backer pads--replacing? #1  

Susanjoyce

Bronze Member
Tractor
Craftsman
Hi,

I have a whole shelf of palm sanders that I can't use because the rubber backing pad has worn too thin. The replacement backer pads cost almost as much as a new sander! I've been trying to figure out how to make my own, using mouse pads--the heavier ones. Has anyone done this and have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

/ Palmer sander backer pads--replacing? #2  
What do you think about using hook & loop sandpaper, AKA Velcro? I use it on my disc sander and like it.

/ Palmer sander backer pads--replacing? #3  
Hi,

I have a whole shelf of palm sanders that I can't use because the rubber backing pad has worn too thin. The replacement backer pads cost almost as much as a new sander! I've been trying to figure out how to make my own, using mouse pads--the heavier ones. Has anyone done this and have any suggestions or advice?

Thanks!

I've replaced an orbital sander pad with a mouse pad cut to fit with scissors and glued on with silicone adhesive. It works just fine.

/ Palmer sander backer pads--replacing?
Aha, silicone! That's what I needed to know--thanks!

(These are the quarter sheet sanders that you break a sheet of sandpaper into four squares to use. My orbital takes the Velcro disks, and they're great--until the Velcro dies.. Happened the other day--the disk came flying off and gouged my knee.)

/ Palmer sander backer pads--replacing? #5  
Ouch!

/ Palmer sander backer pads--replacing? #6  
Yup! had the same problem, what I used to do is scrape off the old foam pad and use the rubber sole of an old pair of worn thin buck skin shoes, cut size to fit and glue back on;) ... It do seem like all sanding pads wear out before the sander themselfs do :cool:, I have same problem with my Orbital D sanders, The Velcro pads only last about 3 months , I've been buying replacement hook/loop pads for them@ 18.00 each, a new sander cost 75.00 + ( Hitachi ) I've since found at home depot an aftermarket generic replacement pad and velcro kit to repair the old pad with,( glue on ) for around 15.00.... I'm going to try it next time and see if they last any longer, I've retired my Palm sander to the shelf, after using the D sanders I don't find much use for the palm sanders anymore, perhaps only when needing to get into corners etc,etc, although I do use quite often my mouse sander, with it's pointed front can get into corners and between the spacing of balusters, it also has velcro pad :cool:

/ Palmer sander backer pads--replacing?
Huh...when I asked at Lowe's for the orbital replacement backers, they said I'd have to special order them.

A few years ago I got so tired of the pads wearing out, I swore I was only going to buy the cheapest palm grips I could find. A couple of months ago I was checking eBay prices, and saw someone selling Kawasakis for $15 each. I don't know Kawasaki power tools, and checked the reviews. For the battery powered, the reviews were lousy, but at that price I ordered four (corded) sanders anyway. I've been really impressed--these little guys are rugged and lightweight (i've got arthritis). Ordered the Kawasaki orbital out of curiosity ($30+), and am happy with it, too.

Do you have a belt sander, and do you ever use it? I suddenly realized I hadn't had mine out in months.

/ Palmer sander backer pads--replacing? #8  
I have 2- makita belt sanders I used at job sites, Though they haven't seen much use in a couple years either, I try not to buy materials that require the use of a belt sander, however when out on a job if I need to rip a board I would use one to smooth off the ripped edges, when working in my shop I have a jointer/planer for such use, as well as a larger mounted bench belt sander with side disc sander, The sander's I use most on flat surfaces are my orbital-D sanders, but have to be careful sanding along the edges of wood because splinters is what destroys the Velcro pads when getting caught up between the pad and sandpaper,

I found this interesting article , although this technique wouldn't give provisions for use with a dust bag,
( no holes in the pad )
http://www.epoxyworks.com/13/shoptip.html

Last edited: