Canes, anyone use one?

/ Canes, anyone use one? #21  
Do ya'll thik that would be a nice gift? My father isn't doing well getting around, I thought about it, but don't want to send a bad message to him. He is a proud, stubburn, old south, retired Navy veteran.
I love the hand made ones myself and have an appriciation for the craftmanship.

I'd risk it, and tell him in this day and time, having a stick with you is not a bad idea. It puts a different spin on the gift to go along with the traditional use.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #22  
Do ya'll thik that would be a nice gift? My father isn't doing well getting around, I thought about it, but don't want to send a bad message to him. He is a proud, stubburn, old south, retired Navy veteran.
I love the hand made ones myself and have an appriciation for the craftmanship.

get one of them pecan picker-upper tools and attach it to the end of the cane.... this could also make as a nice gift, and just before you leave tell him... Oh! btw if ever you need to use a walking cane the Pecan picker-upper can be removed and will double as a walking cane,:D

Attachments

• $T2eC16h,!zUE9s39!ee0BQVf0g!wBQ~~60_1.jpg
    $T2eC16h,!zUE9s39!ee0BQVf0g!wBQ~~60_1.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 91
   / Canes, anyone use one? #23  
the V.A. gave me one last year when I had a hip replaced.It was made of wood.They gave me a metal one this year when I had a knee replaced .I use it all the time cause I walk funny w/o it.I wish I could stop using it but for now need one.When I was going to rehab at my V.A. I saw a kid back from Iraq and he was using one that looked like a leg bone.I asked him where he got it and he said he ordered it online. russ

/ Canes, anyone use one? #25  
I'd risk it, and tell him in this day and time, having a stick with you is not a bad idea. It puts a different spin on the gift to go along with the traditional use.

It's been awhile back now, but my wife said she saw something on TV about teaching older people to use a cane as a weapon, and I'm sure that could be done.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #26  
Nice ideas on a cane for my father! I like the pecan picker upper, he grew up with many a can' tree in Arkansas.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #27  
It's been awhile back now, but my wife said she saw something on TV about teaching older people to use a cane as a weapon, and I'm sure that could be done.

Funny, I read something similar and had already done a search when I read your post. A cane is a weapon, not a crutch, in self-defense - USATODAY.com

I've been thinking about training a few ash and hornbeam (aka, ironwood) saplings in the shape of a comfortable handle, in case I ever do find myself needing one.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #28  
   / Canes, anyone use one? #29  
I have the coolest cane from my grandfather, who used it to cross the mountains during world war one. When I got myself into a wheelchair he gave it to me in hopes I could use it one day. So far no luck, but it is very special, given the history behind it. It looks like any other cane I guess, but to me it is the best cane of all.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #30  
It looks like any other cane I guess, but to me it is the best cane of all.

I think we can all understand that, and we'll hope you get to put it to good use someday.