Canes, anyone use one?

/ Canes, anyone use one? #31  
Funny, I read something similar and had already done a search when I read your post. A cane is a weapon, not a crutch, in self-defense - USATODAY.com

I've been thinking about training a few ash and hornbeam (aka, ironwood) saplings in the shape of a comfortable handle, in case I ever do find myself needing one.

That's a good article. I'm not close to needing cane yet, but now I will listen to both physical and societal cues when I make my decision.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #32  
It's been awhile back now, but my wife said she saw something on TV about teaching older people to use a cane as a weapon, and I'm sure that could be done.

When I was much younger, I studied a few martial arts, that included the use of a wood staff and swords. We never used real swords, just too danged dangerous and expensive, but a wood sword will ring your bell. A wood sword is not much different in size, shape and weight than a wood cane. Now, when I was studying Kendo, it was fun and interesting, but I certainly did not think that I would be fighting with a sword some day....

But here is the thing. A wood sword is just a stick. Nothing more or nothing less. A stick wont hurt you. But if you know certain things, a stick can make a very effective weapon.

Once upon a time there was a man name Musashi who is most likely the best swordsman in all of Japanese history, and most likely, in the world. He wrote a book, "Go Rin No Sho", aka "The Book of Five Rings" which is still read to this day and still relevant. One day Musashi was to have a duel with another famous and very good swordsman. If you think of a duel out of a Western, you would have the right idea except the fight was not on main street, but on a beach, and with swords, not six shooters. :D

Musashi was supposed to show up at a certain time for the dual but he was late. He had to take a boat from an island to the beach and on the trip over he took a spare oar and carved it into a wood sword. There are theories on WHY Musashi was late. I think he was late primarily to upset his opponent. He knew his opponent and knew that his opponent would view his the being late as an insult and thus he would be mad. Emotion is not a good thing when fighting with swords and a split second is all it takes to die.

Why would Musahi use a wooden sword and not his metal one? My guess is two reasons, one the wood sword might have been taken as an insult and/or not taken seriously by his opponent. Two, Musashi might have carved a LONGER sword than his opponents. :D Metal vs wood did really not mean much in a fight between two men.

The fight is quickly fought and of course Musashi won. Other wise we would not have "The Book of Five Rings". :D

Sun Tzu, Chinese strategist, not Japanese, had a dictum that if you knew yourself and knew your opponent, you would 100% of your battles. Me thinks Musashi proved Sun Tzu's dictum in that fight.

Funny thing is, that years later, I was using wooden batons, and eventually, expandable metal batons which really are not that much different than a wooden sword. That Kendo training was far more useful than I thought it ever would be. :D

A wooden stick/cane/sword can supply a big can of whoop fanny in the right hands. :laughing:

Later,
Dan

/ Canes, anyone use one? #33  
I used an Irish Blackthorn Walking Stick for many years; good support as well as impact weapon, I'm on crutches now, so no canes except in my tractors to adjust mirrors, engage 4WD etc.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #34  
Have you ever thought about turning your cane into a gun? I mean, why not? As long as you're carrying something like that around it might as well shoot, even if it's just a single shot. One shot is better than no shot!

I saw a cane advertised that had a 27 inch sword inside ...I would either have that or one with a single shot like you mention or at a very minimum one filled with lead to use as a club if needed...why not be safe...?

/ Canes, anyone use one? #36  
I have a couple of old simple wooden ones, but what I use the most I made from 3/4" copper pipe; pipe, two 90* elbows & a couple caps! I've had some knee problems over the years & a couple of surgeries. The cane helps with stability, also carry it when I'm going to be standing around a lot (auctions, etc.). When I made the copper one, I was going to use 1/2", but decided to go with 3/4" after I got the fittings, so when the wife had surgery, I made her one in 1/2", wrap the handles with tennis racket tape.

Recently had inner ear infection, so I used it then, also made a walking stick from a broken wood fork handle. It had broken just below the top of the metal sleeve, just cleaned it up, applied Spar Varnish & added a 1" crutch tip. ~~ grnspot

/ Canes, anyone use one? #37  
it wouldnt have to necessarily be converted to a gun or a sword... is pepper spray legal to carry? the cane or walking stick might be able to be converted to squirt some pepper spray or other irritant, out of the "barrel" ? I'm sure that it would take a james bond creativity to fashion one but it could be done.

/ Canes, anyone use one? #38  
Ya got to remember, in order for a gun to be effective it must have a trigger, I would think a trigger should be located somewhere on the handle, your hand and finger would always be on the handle, Plus the pressure applied when leaning on it, I'd be worried about it accidentally going off, and there is also a chance of packing the barrel with dirt ,rock, etc,etc, could cause to blow up in your hands when fired, Nahhh! don't like the gun idea at all, :cool: Now I have seen a cane with a bayonet inside, I think was more for novelty then anything else, But could be used to fight off a possible attacher I suppose,

/ Canes, anyone use one? #39  
Gun canes have been around for years. I'd rather have a gun cane than a sword cane any day. The gun cane is gonna win that fight! Look em up on google. Works of art. And safe too! When was the last time you heard of a gun cane accident? Doesn't happen because only older experienced gentlemen use them. A machine gun cane would be perfect for those guys whose eyesight is not so good anymore. Just point and spray!

/ Canes, anyone use one? #40  
A .410 shotgun cane would be the best caliber I think. Close up, it would be very effective