We grow 'em BIG in Taney County

/ We grow 'em BIG in Taney County #21  
Um.. lets see.. I checked for spots.. none noted:) ..

You should check again:laughing:

I did see the kubota bucket. You how did you manage to keep that when you traided it in?

And yes, fielddressing with them hanging is the only way to go IMO. I dont like rolling the deer around in the innerds doing it on the ground. And processing it yourself is actually less messy and easier IMO than dressing the deer. I have always done my own. I guess there have been too many horror stories I have heard about taking deer in and not knowing what you are actually getting back. That these butcher shops weigh the deer, and make sure you get back the right amount, but wether its actually YOUR meat?......or wether it got mixed in with one someone gut shot, or let hang in 60 degree heat for a week:confused2: I like knowing the meat I am eating IS from the deer I shot

/ We grow 'em BIG in Taney County
LD1.. OMG.. I just opened your post of the photo, of my deer and noticed you put spots on my deer:shocked: oh man!

/ We grow 'em BIG in Taney County #23  
I got this one on Nov 11th, the first one ever for me and it also came from my upper field so was easy to retrieve with my Kubota. 160 yard shot with my 32 Special and scope.

Attachments

• DSCN1341.jpg
    DSCN1341.jpg
    946.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_0722.jpg
    IMG_0722.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 125
   / We grow 'em BIG in Taney County #24  
And yes, fielddressing with them hanging is the only way to go IMO. I dont like rolling the deer around in the innerds doing it on the ground. And processing it yourself is actually less messy and easier IMO than dressing the deer. I have always done my own. I guess there have been too many horror stories I have heard about taking deer in and not knowing what you are actually getting back. That these butcher shops weigh the deer, and make sure you get back the right amount, but wether its actually YOUR meat?......or wether it got mixed in with one someone gut shot, or let hang in 60 degree heat for a week:confused2: I like knowing the meat I am eating IS from the deer I shot

Thats the truth! Give them a 120# deer and you get back a 40# box with lord knows what. Fortunalty we have a guy here thats does a great job, cleans after each deer, light cleaning mind you, but he makes a great effort to keep everyones deer seperate. He is a hunter also and said he was "burned" many times to (by processors)

Jake, nice heavy antlered deer!

/ We grow 'em BIG in Taney County
You should check again:laughing:

I did see the kubota bucket. You how did you manage to keep that when you traided it in?

Ok. on the bucket, if you remember when I got the SSQA adapter from the Kubota dealer, I had them bring a new SSQA bucket so I could use it right away, they offered $100 in trade for the old pin on bucket, but I decided it was worth more than that to me to convert to SSQA. Which I did here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/208653-so-you-think-converting-pin.html

so when I traded in the Kubota of course I kept the converted bucket, which I prefer for digging anyway as it is smaller.

Also one reason we did not try to butcher the deer ourselves, was by the time we field dressed it, it was at least 60 degrees and rising at 8:30 and went to near 80 that day. Then Sunday it rained and turned cold with a hard freeze that night. A real change in the weather.

James K0UA

/ We grow 'em BIG in Taney County #26  
LD1.. OMG.. I just opened your post of the photo, of my deer and noticed you put spots on my deer:shocked: oh man!

Yeah, I didnt think you looked at it after that last post:laughing: Gotta love MS paint:thumbsup:

Ok. on the bucket, if you remember when I got the SSQA adapter from the Kubota dealer, I had them bring a new SSQA bucket so I could use it right away, they offered $100 in trade for the old pin on bucket, but I decided it was worth more than that to me to convert to SSQA. Which I did here:

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/customization/208653-so-you-think-converting-pin.html

so when I traded in the Kubota of course I kept the converted bucket, which I prefer for digging anyway as it is smaller.

I missed that thread. Heck yeah, $100 was well worth it to keep the bucket.

Also one reason we did not try to butcher the deer ourselves, was by the time we field dressed it, it was at least 60 degrees and rising at 8:30 and went to near 80 that day. Then Sunday it rained and turned cold with a hard freeze that night. A real change in the weather.

James K0UA

Yep, gotta have a dedicated fridge or freezer if you try to do it yourself. If we dont have time to get one done right away and it is warm out, we quarter it (cut front legs off, rear legs, straps and loins) and throw in garbage bags and get in the fridge. Then within a week or so we can finish boning the legs and dicing for jerky or whatever. We dont fool with the carcass. Like the ribs and such. Just not enough meat to fool with.

From field dressed to skinned and quartered and in the fridge usually only takes ~30-40 minutes with two people. Most of that time is the skinning.

/ We grow 'em BIG in Taney County #27  
Nothing wrong with taking the young ones to eat, after all, if you're going to butcher a beef, you don't shoot an old bull!

I just finished grinding the yearling doe I got yesterday. I grind every bit, as that's the way I prefer to use it, chili & dried sticks.

I spent 20+ minutes watching this little fork horn yesterday before the group of five came to me.

Wildlife 2012 012 (Custom).JPG Wildlife 2012 009 (Custom).JPG

He was only 50' away from my "timber shack" when I first saw him, as I was watching the group the other direction.

I haven't pursued a "trophy" for years. I know what I see & could or couldn't shoot! Plenty of bigger bucks around in northwest MO.

This guy came up to the dead tree in '09, 40 feet from the shack, finally heard my camera & casually walked back the way he came.

HPIM0753 - Copy.JPG

grnspot

/ We grow 'em BIG in Taney County #28  
My youngest son got this one this morning. I had a nice buck come up close to me, but I couldn't get a shot at him.

/ We grow 'em BIG in Taney County #29  
I sure wish we could use rifles up here in ohio

/ We grow 'em BIG in Taney County #30  
We are lucky as just across the river in Illinois in many places they have to use a shotgun. My son has owned that rifle, a Marlin in 35 Remington for close to 20 years and this is his first deer with it. He went on to "bigger and better" guns for a long time and just decided to use the Marlin this year.

We have a lot of unpopulated areas, so rifles are safe here, we were hunting in a 200+ acre area we own and it is just part of woods that goes for miles.