Lady chasing thief

/ Lady chasing thief #1  

RSKY

Veteran Member
Kentucky, West of the Lakes, South of Possum Trot.
Tractor
Kioti CK20S
After the Concealed Carry Permit Class (see thread below) one of the ladies involved got a phone call on the drive home. One of her nurses needed the next day off she said to straighten up her house. The lady asked her why she needed to straighten up her house. The story was that the nurse's father was baby-sitting and took the grandkids to McDonalds about 1:00. The nurse arrived home from work about 1:30 and was suprised to see a suitcase on the front porch. She got out of her car and walked up to the front door which was unlocked and went inside the house. There was her laptop computer and everything else movable sitting in a pile in the livingroom. She started calling 911 when a man walked down the hall and into the living room. He had on one of the lady's coats and had his hands full of her jewelry. Said she told him, "Oh no, you're not getting my stuff!". Man took off thru the house and out the back door with the lady in pursuit. He got away from her but the cops picked him up a few minutes later. He was easy to spot with the several sizes too small ladies coat on. His pockets were still full of her jewelry.

If he had been armed the lady would have been an easy target. Even unarmed just about any man can overpower any woman if he is not concerned about hurting her. I could not believe she could have done something that stupid as to chase the burglar.

My friend who took the class told her to get her Carry Permit and the next time she could shoot the burglar. The nurse is going to take the class as soon as possible. Don't mess with a woman's jewelry!

She realizes now how dangerous it was to give chase.

My friend also said most of her nurses were armed going to and from work because of stalkers (??) And that all of the home nurses were armed when they traveled.

What is the United States coming to?

RSKY

/ Lady chasing thief #2  
Do they really all have stalkers? Seem a bit far fetched doesn't it? I mean maybe one has a stalker but all of them? A very peculiar situation that needs to be researched in depth. How old are these women and what is there economic status?

/ Lady chasing thief #3  
I could not believe she could have done something that stupid as to chase the burglar.

Oh I can. That was an emotional moment and people react with emotion. It's obvious that her emotional reaction was "you're not doing this to me."

Few burglars like this one (unoccupied home) are armed. The penalties really jump up for armed robbery vs. unarmed burglary.

As far as "My friend who took the class told her to get her Carry Permit and the next time she could shoot the burglar" that obviously varies depending on the state you live in but is not universally accurate.

/ Lady chasing thief #4  
Actually, she probably could shoot the burglar if she had a firearm with her. If she could shoot the burglar with impunity is another matter.

/ Lady chasing thief #5  
Of course she stood up for herself. As mentioned it was emotional. The robber is there to get items for cash. He's not there to kill. He's likely to run because he's there just for cash not for survival.

Remember that the rabbit sometimes gets away from the fox. The fox is hunting for a meal, the rabbit is running for it's life.

/ Lady chasing thief
It was the third house he had broke into that day. In KY you are justified shooting someone who has broke in. Legally that is, morally shooting an unarmed scumbag might raise questions.

/ Lady chasing thief #7  
Legally and morally won't stop some scumbags relatives filing a wrongful death suit.

/ Lady chasing thief #8  
Legally and morally won't stop some scumbags relatives filing a wrongful death suit.

I believe the law in Ohio is that if the shooting is declared justified, you cannot be sued in civil court. I realize this is not true in many states.

/ Lady chasing thief
I've said it before and I will say it again. If I were by myself I would not even try to prevent his escape. Nothing in my house worth him or me dying over. My three year old granddaughter with me, if he even looked the smallest bit threatening or made a wrong move then he would meet his maker.

A man must do what he must do to protect his family.

The lady possibly put her life in danger over a few things that insurance would have paid for!

/ Lady chasing thief #10  
The lady possibly put her life in danger over a few things that insurance would have paid for!

I think you are missing the loss of feeling secure and the sense of violation that goes with having someone violate your home. It's not just a "few things that insurance would have paid for" (probably not!) but also the emotional loss that cannot be replaced by insurance.

(Just as an aside, unless you have items with specific coverage, insurance probably won't pay for anything.)