Redneck Sandblasting

/ Redneck Sandblasting #3  
Too smart by 1/2.

I am not sure if the vacuum is blowing or sucking. If it's sucking, it's sucking the dust into the hood. If it's blowing, it's filling the hood with air that very likely contains all kinds of unhealthy organisms.

What is ridiculous here is, apparently the dust only bothers him when it comes directly out of the sand blaster. The rest of the time, he seems to be okay with breathing it.

I see people make the same mistake with paint.

/ Redneck Sandblasting #4  
i know what's been in my shopvac, can't imagine using the air to breath coming from it...

/ Redneck Sandblasting #6  
I rarely watch vids posted ANYPLACE...but this was unique. Even though I keep my shopvacs reasonably clean inside there is no way I would use the hose leading to one as either an air source or cleaner. Appears the hose the guy is using is the smaller 1 1/4" size that restricts airflow. What baffles me is why he goes to all that time to "protect" himself with the gadget while sandblasting and then doesn't even use a dust mask when collecting and sifting the used sand for re-use. If I were doing sandblasting, I would simply make my own cabinet out of a plywood box and put a window in it, plus make a long wand that could be used thru a hole in the cabinet and wear a quality dust mask while blasting. I think the guy is being foolish.

/ Redneck Sandblasting #7  
I made a similar setup. But before you call me nuts: I bought a little shop vac and used it only for breathing, never for cleaning. It was set up to blow filtered air into my hood and the vac was about 25+ feet from where I was painting. The hose was a swimming pool vacuum hose I bought for this purpose and adapted to the vac and to the painting hood. When not in use it was all stored in a plastic bag. Worked well. Never smelled any paint fumes. Much safer than a respirator because it drew air from a long way from the paint gun.

/ Redneck Sandblasting #9  
Crazy. So he can't afford a $30 HEPA filter mask?

/ Redneck Sandblasting #10  
Anybody who has a pocket protector full of pens, another pocket full of pencils, and a tape measure clipped to his overalls is good-to-go by me.:thumbsup: He also keeps a tire gage handy, just in case. . . . :D