Finally shot my first buck this morning...

/ Finally shot my first buck this morning... #11  
Congratulations on your buck, you are indeed lucky to have such a good arrangement with landowners that benefits everyone.:thumbsup:

/ Finally shot my first buck this morning...
Well, this morning was very quiet with nothing moving except a very dimwitted fed employee who wandered about, hoping some buck was going to stand like a statue and wait to be shot.... Some people ??? This guy showed up yesterday unannounced and the owner finds a minivan sitting in his driveway that he does not recognize. It turns out the guy is a former work college of his wife who they have not seen in quite a while. After the owner went out and "busted" him, he claims that he had sent a text message to let them know he was coming. There we have the entitlement attitude again...

We had a hard frost this morning and everything was white so I rechecked my ranges and today the area ranged out at 125 yards where I shot yesterdays buck. No wonder I was so far off. I was basically zeroed for 100. The 20ga slugs drop about 3" from 100-150 yards. Then another 8" from 150 to 200 yards. So that is 11" of drop and close to 10" more that I needed to compensate for. So that leaves me wondering why the initial ranging was that far off ? Perhaps ranging off small brush and grass is not too accurate without the frost coating ? Yesterday it was also pretty dark when I did the ranging, but as far as I know the laser is in the infrared range so should be able to range even at night ? Baffling. I had a different rangefinder initially which disappeared early this year, and just got this Nikon Monarch rangefinder and I am not impressed. This is actually the more expensive version compared the the earlier one I had, but the optics are noticeably darker and accuracy seems degraded. It also does not offer compensation for slopes which the cheaper one had built in.

I also had the pressure regulator on my propane heater freeze this morning at the most critical time (just as dawn was breaking). So I just sat and shivered for a few hours until it was clear there was nothing moving, then went outside and whacked the regulator with a piece of wood and it came back on line again. I built this blind to use all winter long laying in ambush of the coyotes that come to attack the owners sheep. The sheep are always in the same place in the morning, either in or near the barn, and the coyotes usually come down the same corridor every time. I have not found calling to work during daylight hours, I do use an electronic caller and coyote sounds at night (when legal). During the day, so far it has worked best to just wait at dawn for them to come trotting down the draw. Hence the insulation and boat cabin heater to reduce the pain of being out there day after day for hours. So far, the closest shot I got on a coyote was about 120 yards and the longest shot that I took was 350 yards. 250 yards is the distance to the far side of the pond and is typically where they show up. After having some hassles with wind drift and lack of killing power with my 223 at those ranges, I switched my Remington SPS to a Savage 10 PC and now shoot 75gr match bullets in 223. I even have a custom scope turret for that load. For the windy days, I now use my savage 12 in 243 shooting 95gr SST's and I am working on some Berger VLD loads. That rifle got a Vortex PST FFP 4-16 scope, the first I have ever owned and so far I am impressed. I wish I could use if for deer, but alas, our gov is protecting us from ourselves....

All the comments are appreciated. Yes, I don't know how I had the luck to fall in with this family... I came to the US on a work permit so I didn't know anyone and it can be really hard making connections outside of the work realm. After I finally got my green card and cleared the FBI hurdles, I set about trying to get started with predator hunting. I put an advertisement on the local Craigslist, which I ran for 3 months, starting mid summer. I had a lot of scam responses and a few people wanting close to $1000 per season for the "privilege" of shooting coyotes on their property. A few more dead end leads with women landowners who had the coyotes eating all of the pet animals. But they seemed to have a bigger distrust of men than the coyotes, I remember one in particular who stood me up on 3 different appointments. So I got pretty frustrated and let the advertisement expire. Then more than month later while on vacation in the Michigan upper peninsula (southern shore of Lake Superior) I got a voice message on my phone from the current farmer. We scheduled a meeting that I had to re-schedule to the next day and on the day we were originally going to meet, a pack of coyotes kills a sheep right next to his barn. Last year, he lost the majority of his lambs to coyotes and close to 20% of his adult sheep.

This year, I have helped him with some basic infrastructure projects to help them be able to get around properly on the land and make it accessible. We installed culverts to take the runoff from the barn roof and direct it under the driveway to get rid of that permanently flooded area. Put in a 20' culvert at the creek and built up the dirt about 4' high so that crossing the creek was easy and dry, and not a kamikaze scramble through mud, ice and foot deep ruts. The relations who had been living on the farm previously became old and inactive and allowed many areas of the farm to become wild to the point that it was near impossible to get through. Shortly after moving onto the farm, the old farmhouse caught fire and they lost nearly everything. The farmhouse was not insured, so the couple lived in a camping trailer and build a log cabin from wood harvested on the farm and cut in their own sawmill. Half way through that project the wife unexpectedly became pregnant with twins. Both parents were working low wage jobs, while doing all of this and trying to keep the farm going. Since I just started with my predator activities in September, I stayed away during deer firearm season, since family had first rights and rifles are forbidden anyway. However, by December, when I questioned if they had managed to score any meat during deer season, the answer was no. Apparently, between all the family members who had hunted, 1 person got 1 doe all season. So I decided I would give it a try for a few does during late muzzleloader season. The day after I set up my blind, I had 2 does down before lunchtime. So even though I had yet to shoot a coyote, evidence was starting to build that I could actually shoot.

My plans involve moving to Colorado, those plans have been in a holding pattern with my wife doing her nurse practitioner program. But I understand that her employment options will be much better once she is qualified. In the meantime, I have got first hand experience of many of the aspects that I will face when breaking ground on a new home. The last 2 weekends we put in a new septic drain field. I have had some reliability issues with my Bobcat loader backhoe, in real situations (broken down next to a swamp and needing to field strip some parts to go and get them repaired). So this has been a great learning experience at a cost much less than college tuition. I wish more people could experience it before they dive into the deep end and move out into the country on a whim...

/ Finally shot my first buck this morning... #14  
All the comments are appreciated. Yes, I don't know how I had the luck to fall in with this family... I came to the US on a work permit so I didn't know anyone and it can be really hard making connections outside of the work realm. After I finally got my green card and cleared the FBI hurdles, I set about trying to get started with predator hunting. I put an advertisement on the local Craigslist, which I ran for 3 months, starting mid summer. I had a lot of scam responses and a few people wanting close to $1000 per season for the "privilege" of shooting coyotes on their property. A few more dead end leads with women landowners who had the coyotes eating all of the pet animals. But they seemed to have a bigger distrust of men than the coyotes, I remember one in particular who stood me up on 3 different appointments. So I got pretty frustrated and let the advertisement expire. Then more than month later while on vacation in the Michigan upper peninsula (southern shore of Lake Superior) I got a voice message on my phone from the current farmer. We scheduled a meeting that I had to re-schedule to the next day and on the day we were originally going to meet, a pack of coyotes kills a sheep right next to his barn. Last year, he lost the majority of his lambs to coyotes and close to 20% of his adult sheep.

This year, I have helped him with some basic infrastructure projects to help them be able to get around properly on the land and make it accessible. We installed culverts to take the runoff from the barn roof and direct it under the driveway to get rid of that permanently flooded area. Put in a 20' culvert at the creek and built up the dirt about 4' high so that crossing the creek was easy and dry, and not a kamikaze scramble through mud, ice and foot deep ruts. The relations who had been living on the farm previously became old and inactive and allowed many areas of the farm to become wild to the point that it was near impossible to get through. Shortly after moving onto the farm, the old farmhouse caught fire and they lost nearly everything. The farmhouse was not insured, so the couple lived in a camping trailer and build a log cabin from wood harvested on the farm and cut in their own sawmill. Half way through that project the wife unexpectedly became pregnant with twins. Both parents were working low wage jobs, while doing all of this and trying to keep the farm going. Since I just started with my predator activities in September, I stayed away during deer firearm season, since family had first rights and rifles are forbidden anyway. However, by December, when I questioned if they had managed to score any meat during deer season, the answer was no. Apparently, between all the family members who had hunted, 1 person got 1 doe all season. So I decided I would give it a try for a few does during late muzzleloader season. The day after I set up my blind, I had 2 does down before lunchtime. So even though I had yet to shoot a coyote, evidence was starting to build that I could actually shoot.

My plans involve moving to Colorado, those plans have been in a holding pattern with my wife doing her nurse practitioner program. But I understand that her employment options will be much better once she is qualified. In the meantime, I have got first hand experience of many of the aspects that I will face when breaking ground on a new home. The last 2 weekends we put in a new septic drain field. I have had some reliability issues with my Bobcat loader backhoe, in real situations (broken down next to a swamp and needing to field strip some parts to go and get them repaired). So this has been a great learning experience at a cost much less than college tuition. I wish more people could experience it before they dive into the deep end and move out into the country on a whim...

Very interesting write up. We no longer allow anyone on our land for a variety of reasons, but for many years let one man do so. With your attitude and work ethic you should have no problem finding a good situation wherever you go; good luck.

That was my first thought, since I already reload. Just get the components and load my own. But it is not so simple. It appears that sabots for the 20 ga shell are not available on the market. The ~45 cal bullets neither, although there are a lot of different bullets out there. Initially I thought I would just use 45 cal muzzle loader bullets and sabots but those don't match the dimensions of the shell. By the time people start marketing components, we will hopefully have seen a change in the law. Reloading 44mag is certainly a lot more straight forward...

I can't help you with the price and I don't think you can find the parts to load your own.

/ Finally shot my first buck this morning... #16  
From what I recall, you can't reload sabot slugs, the equipment just isn't there for the home reloader.

I think I read somewhere, where you could stuff a rifled slug in a shot shell and then close it up, but can't remember for sure.

Bottom line is, I think you are stuck buying your sabots at the store.

The amount of ammo one actually shoots in a season is not the big deal. It is the cost of the ammo needed to figure out how the gun shoots and get sighted in and figure out the trajectory. That can easily cost half the price of the weapon. I just don't see how the price is justified when regular 00 buckshot is 50c per cartridge and it too has a sabot. 6x the price ?

/ Finally shot my first buck this morning... #18  
When I posted this morning I was on my way to work and did not have time to look anything up so was working from memory. Now after work I have had time to view a few sites and check a ballistic calculator. I'm somewhat surprised to say that I was very close. (Even a broken clock is right twice a day.:D) It looks like your best bet is a 160 yard zero which will keep you in an eight inch kill zone out to about 210 yards which is also about where you will run out of energy sufficent to presume a quick kill.
Ballistics Calculator - Hornady Manufacturing, Inc

/ Finally shot my first buck this morning... #20  
I've got to say that if those SST's are anywhere near to what they claim they are then they are well worth it. To think that a shotgun could even reach a deer at 200 yards much less kill it is a quantum leap ahead of foster slugs in a smooth bore.