How do I get rid of ticks ???

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #11  
there is a line of clothing that is pre treated with permethrin.. almost same thing.. :)

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #12  
why hasent anyone invented frontline for humans? we use it on our cats and dog and it workes great.

Ticks are bad here this year. This is the first year we have seen deer ticks on our dogs. The white-footed mouse population crashed this year, so there are lots of deer ticks looking for alternate hosts--according to those who study such things.

There are more than a few people who think Frontline and similar products have made their pets sick or worse. Don't know if I would want my skin permeated with bug killer, I do enough bad things to my body as it is. :laughing:

One natural product that is working for our dogs is a spray-on liquid made from peppermint oil, clove extract and sodium lauryl sulfate. Brand name is Vet's+Best Flea and Tick home spray. It will kill deer ticks on contact, of course you need to spray your dog every couple days if outside a lot. It smells good as a side benefit.

Another natural recipe we are going to try is a dust made up of food grade (not swimming pool) diatomaceous earth, yarrow powder and neem powder. People say they are having good results with that. Those ingredients can be ordered from Amazon.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #13  
why hasent anyone invented frontline for humans? we use it on our cats and dog and it workes great.

I am still undecided on it as I have met quite a few dog owners whose pets have died of cancer. Typically its in the vets office or the petfood isle. We put our lab down due to cancer,and we treated him from an early age with frontline. When someone mentions their pet passed from cancer, I always ask if they used any once a month treatment, and I cannot think of one that said no.
Furthermore when I was growing up, I cannot think of a dog ever having cancer? So when I read the packing on the triple wrapped carton, if its something that should not be in contact with my skin, I ask why is it good for my dog then. We have aborder/yellow lab mix now, so the ticks are easy to spot, with regular delousing and a natural tick collar, a little witch hazel spray and we are good. I also keep anti biotics on hand in the event we see one a day or two later,and a tick key from cabelas.
I started my current dog on frontline when he was six months old, at two he had lyme's, and to this day I wondered how he got it if he had it on him since he was a pup. Its in remission now, but we still do six month testing. I just had him done today.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #14  
As has been said earlier, the best and non-toxic way to get rid of ticks is free range guinea fowl. I always have 5 -10 guinea fowl on my farm. I also have free range chickens. Chickens eat ticks, too, but guinea fowl are the best. Between them, I have no ticks on any of my animals, dogs, cats, goats, sheep, horses or llamas.

I also don't use frontline on my dogs. It's a systemic pesticide that goes in their bloodstream. And I don't want pesticides on my farm. Don't need any of that with guinea fowl.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #15  
We have a lot of ticks on our new property, and I was picking 10-12 off me anytime I worked up there. I finally bought some Sawyer permethrin spray for my pants, and it made a huge difference -- no more ticks on me. The stuff works great. You pre-treat clothing, let it dry, and then wear it. The permethrin will survive a few washings. Towards the end of the summer, I just sprayed it on some cloth strips I could tie around my workboots, and that seemed just as effective.

I have heard there is also a permethrin spray that you can put down around a yard to ward off ticks.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #16  
Put flea collars around your boots. Pants must be up above it, have mine partially in boots must of the time any way. Works well, change as needed.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #17  
why hasent anyone invented frontline for humans? We had a dog develop seizures when ever we would give her frontline.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #18  
I stay out of the woods and yard as much as possible during the summer. Even by staying on gravel, I can still pick up ticks or chiggers. Permethrin sprayed on your clothes will last many washings. DEET works as well. I wear light colored long pants tucked into my socks. Light colored allows you to see the devil's spawn...

There is a deer feeder that has applicators that look like paint rollers. The applicators apply Permethrin to the deer which then reduces the number of ticks. I read a study that said one of these feeders drastically reduces the tick population over a couple of years. This is the only solution that I can see that would remove ticks over a large acreage short of controlled burns.

I bought some PVC to build devices to attract mice. I am going to soak cotton balls in Permethrin and put them in the devices. Hopefully, the mice will pick up the cotton and use it in their nest which should apply the chemical to said mice and reduce the tick population.

Mice and deer are part of the tick life cycle.

There are little tick pullers that are thin metal with a V cut out. The V slips over the tick and they usually just pop out. If the tick has been embedded for awhile, there is not much you can do...

Later,
Dan

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #20  
The go to product in my area for mosquitoes is Bifen/IT or bifenthren. I have found bifen kills fleas and ants as well. Should work on ticks. For a decade I used pyrethrum (the natural stuff) to kill files in horse barns. Bifen is pyreteroid or synthetic version of pyrethrum the same as permethrin. I have a 60 gal 3 point sprayer that I use to spray large areas. I mix 12 to 16 oz of bifen to 60 gals which will easily cover 2 acres with my sprayer. You could spray your trails and other favorite areas with a smaller sprayer.

I have used the concentrate to mix in a bathtub of water and bath in the solution if I have acquired ticks. By the time you have bathed the ticks are turning loose of their own accord.