How do I get rid of ticks ???

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #21  
i have no guinea fowl.. but have plenty of free range chickens.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #22  
The Spectracide granules do work, we were covered up so badly here that I found one on the wall inside the kitchen when our house was 3-4 months old. I spread them in the back for about 100' from the house so it wasn't cheap, but it did the job.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #23  
Tick Key Home - The Easiest To Use Tick Removal Device On Earth
Dan I was watching a show on the AT ( Appalachian Trail ) and they said in areas there are a ton of ticks because the snakes have been killed, and they normally take care of the mouse part of the ticks lifecycle.

Here is what we use, Pro-Tick Remedy Tick Removal System - Free Shipping at REI.com. The price is outrageous but the tool is work really well.

I don't kill black snakes since I know they like Mickey. Last night I had to get some wood to the house. I often see mice nest in my wood pile but last night when I removed the tarp I found a tree rat nest. When I ran the tractor last weekend, I checked it for my mice nests and instead found twigs which was odd. After I saw the tree rat nest in the wood pile I figured out how the twigs got under the tractor hood. :shocked: :mad:

Later,
Dan

/ How do I get rid of ticks ???
Wow, a lot of good ideas. I did find an article on line about using a concentrate of garlic. pretty expensive, though. We have two dogs and five cats, frontline doesn't work so good on them anymore, either. I wonder if the cats would leave the guinea hens alone ?

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #25  
I'd worry about the guineas leaving the cats alone!

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #26  
I have used Permethrin 33% with the Stihl backpack blower/mist sprayer now for 10 years for mosquito control and also tick control over about 3 acres. A 5 liter container of 33% permethrin only takes 2 ounces to 2.5 gallons of water in the sprayer and does the entire 3 acres every two - three weeks. One 5 liter container costs $100 and lasts for 2 years with about 8-10 applications per year.

You should be able to treat along your trail areas once a month and get decent results, but if you have 20-30 acres to cover you can rig up a sprayer on a small tractor or 4 wheeler and spray the trail areas and perimeter of your yard etc..

The permethrin or similar Di-Phen are all about the same efficacy and also treating your outdoor clothes in the washing machine with an ounce added will keep ticks off for 3-4 months with one treatment.

Yes, permethrin is a synthetic chemical originating from the chrysthanenum flower and is not toxic to animals should not be used around bodies of water - and fish etc, but it is very effective for control of bugs and ticks.

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #27  
wcampbell47 said:
The go to product in my area for mosquitoes is Bifen/IT or bifenthren.

BIFENTHRIN, is some good stuff.

It is the active ingredient in Ortho Home Defense Max.

I've used the indoor spray to control ants, has a very long residual time. Spray it in the corners and around doors and I'm good to go for months.

For outside I use the concentrate and mix up some in my 15 gallon pull behind sprayer, then go for a leisurely cruise around the property using the boom to spray the the yard, the gravel drive around builds everywhere.
I use the hand wand to spray everything else, trees bushes...if it doesn't move it gets sprayed.

I just have to do that when the bug season starts getting into gear and might have to do a followup quicky spray later, depends on the rain.

If its a bug it isn't happy. Seed ticks..gone, fleas...never saw any, ants...what ants. :thumbsup:

/ How do I get rid of ticks ??? #30  
I use Home Defense Max in my house and around the foundation about once a year, zero bugs, never thought to spray the yard with it. Might try that instead of Spectracide this year, can't cost any more.